Can anyone ID this bamboo I was given?

Moderator: needmore

mountainbamboonut
Location info: 0

Can anyone ID this bamboo I was given?

Post by mountainbamboonut »

This bamboo was growing in an unwanted part of someone's yard and when I was digging up some large vivax they gave me a few carpets of it. It has been doing well in my greenhouse and is very colorful and healthy looking but I have no clue what it is. It seems to be low growing with a density of tiny little shoots/culms but is only a about 6 inches tall or so. The person I got it from had one little patch that was about 4-5 ft. tall so I am wondering if it has the capability of getting taller but I am guessing it is still a midsized or small bamboo by the way it looks now. It has some vareigated leaves and reminds me of some kind of Sasa perhaps? I have no clue so anyone who is good at ID'ing bamboos is welcome to enlighten me if you can. Thanks so much!!
Attachments
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG
grabhorn

Re: Can anyone ID this bamboo I was given?

Post by grabhorn »

Pleioblastus viridistriatus?
mountainbamboonut

Wow, I think that is definitely it! Good call! I don't know if I have a need for it in-ground at my place and prefer taller bamboos, but maybe I will keep it in some pots since it is such a showy little specimen. I think you nailed it!
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

It's a mover!
Attachments
Pleioblastus viridi-striata Halifax-20120728-01094.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
mountainbamboonut

Wow John beautiful!! And that is how much coverage it had in the yard I got it from, it was spreading like crazy under their deck and up to their house with a huge bio mass of shoots. What a wonderful resource the members are here, that was a perfect ID in no time! Thanks again! (Although I don't think I am putting it in the ground because I like to be able to walk around my yard! haha)
T9D

Post by T9D »

Have any extra you can send? It can roam free and natural here like nature intended, shame to keep it penned up :mrgreen:
mountainbamboonut

They are just starting to put up some new growth is seems so I hate to disturb it now but if you want one of them after the new stuff leafs out that is fine if you just cover the shipping. I will keep some in a pot thought because it is an amazing color and really beautiful stuff. It is pretty stuff for sure, but I can't think of a use of it for me since I am into taller upright boos.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

mountainbamboonut wrote: It is pretty stuff for sure, but I can't think of a use of it for me since I am into taller upright boos.
Under taller bamboos!
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
mountainbamboonut

John, very interesting suggestion! However wouldn't the rhizomes be competing in a major way? I'd imagine it would slow the growth of my taller boos that it was planted under? I have no experience planting that way but it is a very interesting idea!
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

johnw wrote:
mountainbamboonut wrote: It is pretty stuff for sure, but I can't think of a use of it for me since I am into taller upright boos.
Under taller bamboos!
Some of the best use of Pleo. I have seen is using it as a lawn under timber bamboos. They have that setting in the display garden at Foothill College in the South SF Bay Area in California. Pleo. growing under green vivax there is quite impressive. It chokes out the weeds, covers the rhizomes, works like green mulch to keep the ground from losing water, and it gives it a nice soft look.

However, Pleo. can be an invasive as all heck and impossible to eradicate once it is established in the ground. My brother planted Pleo. tiny fern leaf in a sidewalk planter box about 3 feet wide by 25 feet long, and it was a nice lawn. He mowed it this time of year and it was lush and green year round. But when he decided to eradicate it? It took a lot of grass killer, muriatic acid and mowing to kill it. I keep all my Pleos contained in pots here and under guard. Supposedly Pleo. gauntletii is blooming now, so I may lose that variety. That would explain its odd behavior the last year here. Ned would not have anything to do with the similar Pleo. humilis at BG. He called it the evil invader.
Happy trails...
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

This photo was posted here by Cyberous (from Hollister, CA) back in '11. This is Foothill College with Pleo. planted under vivax and black bamboo. It looks better on person than in the photo, but you get the idea.
Foothill college pleo lawn.jpg
Happy trails...
T9D

Post by T9D »

You're scaring us Shmu 8)

I'll have some planted next week when it gets here. If I keep it out by the road along the strip with my rock wall keeping it back from the rest of the yard I'll be fine though. Think it will be an awesome ground cover. That looks great.

By the way if you ever want to totally kill any and everything in the ground, go to the country farm stores, buy some pure urea fertilizer. It's pure white and like 46-0-0 (or the other way around, can't remember). Burns the crap out of anything alive if you just dump it on and water it down. Leave some of it white on top. Do it on a hot summer day. You'll have to wait a season to replant though. But nothing lives past that. I did it for those horrible invasive Tree of heavens. Wiped them all out. Did it on some Ivy too.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

I always knew high enough nitrogen would obliterate a plant.
Awesome idea, friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk