The forest where I used to play

Moderator: needmore

Bionet
Location info: 0

The forest where I used to play

Post by Bionet »

Hi guys, i'm new to this website.
Long ago, when I was a child, near my house there was a little bamboo forest where I used to play with my friends. It was a very special place for us but one day it was demolished.
Now, after 10 years I've the possibility to plant something in my garden and i've decided to plant the same specie of bamboo.
When I was a child, I took some photos but the quality is very poor. I was just a child, i didn't know anything about photography.

Please help me to identify this bamboo!

Sorry for my english, I'm trying to improve this language.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: The forest where I used to play

Post by johnw »

Welcome Bionet. I doubt anyone will be able to identify the species of your bamboo but the genus is Phyllostachys. We have a member near Rome who I hope will be able to recommend a super bamboo for you. There are certainly bamboos bigger & more beautiful that you can grow.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

johnw wrote:Welcome Bionet. I doubt anyone will be able to identify the species of your bamboo but the genus is Phyllostachys.
If you click on the images you can get to an enlarged version.
I'm fairly certain that it is phyllostachys aurea (check the third picture, I believe one can see congested internodes) and that bamboo is quite common here in Europe as for some inexplicable reason even in the more northern parts of Europe most stores and nurseries sell it. Certainly it would do well in Italy and since aurea is no monster it may explain the relatively small size for a phyllostachys growing in that climate.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Nicholas - The pictures were so bad I didn't think anything would help but now enlarged I do see one base with congested internodes. Can you recommend something better for that climate?

john
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

@Bionet

If you want exactly the same species look for phyllostachys aurea.

There are several interesting cultivars such as Dr.Don' with blueish culms, 'Holochrysa' that has yellow culms, 'Flavescens-inversa' green with yellow stripes in the sulcus and 'Koi' with yellow culms and green stripes in the sulcus.

There are many different species in the genus phyllostachys, some grow very tall while others can remain more hedge-like.
We can only give you advice on what type of bamboo may be suitable for what you want to achieve if you give us a bit more information on your climate and planting location and what type of look you want (more hedge-like or tall canes almost like a small forest).

All the best,

Nicholas
Bionet

Post by Bionet »

Thanks for your replies!
I'm so sorry for the bad quality but as I've said before, I was just a child.
I've searched on the internet and it's it! Thank you so much guys!
It's phyllostachys aurea!

@Nicholas, Any advice is well accepted! :wink:
johnw

Post by johnw »

Bionet - No need to apologize for the pictures, I realize they were old. Hope you decide on a better bamboo than aurea.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

johnw wrote: ... Hope you decide on a better bamboo than aurea.
I also am not particularly fond of aurea because I personally don't like the look of irregularly congested internodes but I wouldn't imply that there is a better bamboo if you like that kind of look and want a phyllostachys that stays more hedge like.

From my time in Melbourne I recall quite a few plantings of aurea and the summers there aren't exactly what you'd call wet ;).
For more Mediterranean climates which I am guessing Bionet is living in aurea should be hardy enough to not cause major concerns and also tolerate a bit of drought if it is planted in a good spot.

I find that the foliage of aurea has a nice appearance though I can't quite put my finger on what it is about it.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Aurea is hardy and easy to grow , just super common but it has its place especially if it holds a place in someones heart such as a childhood memory.
I have seen area clean up quite nicely. I am not sure of his exact climate but here in California we have a Mediterranean climate and Aurea is wonderful.

I of course wouldn't mind seeing Vivax mixed in there as well :mrgreen:
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Nicholas wrote:
johnw wrote: ... Hope you decide on a better bamboo than aurea.
I also am not particularly fond of aurea because I personally don't like the look of irregularly congested internodes but I wouldn't imply that there is a better bamboo if you like that kind of look and want a phyllostachys that stays more hedge like.

From my time in Melbourne I recall quite a few plantings of aurea and the summers there aren't exactly what you'd call wet ;).
For more Mediterranean climates which I am guessing Bionet is living in aurea should be hardy enough to not cause major concerns and also tolerate a bit of drought if it is planted in a good spot.

I find that the foliage of aurea has a nice appearance though I can't quite put my finger on what it is about it.
agree Aurea , Decora , Nigra Henon and Vivax do well in our Dry California Climate which all these do well from Sacramento To Higher than me and id think his climate would fall in line at one of these elevation points
The nice part of a dryer climate is Phyllostachys only seems to spread where you water it unless of course your in town or a suburban area where everyone waters.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
johnw

Post by johnw »

Maybe Phyllostachys vivax 'Huangwenzhu Inversa' would be a good choice and beautiful too. What do you think? Good for that climate?

See here: http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowBambooPic ... nus=*&s=17
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

johnw wrote:Maybe Phyllostachys vivax 'Huangwenzhu Inversa' would be a good choice and beautiful too. What do you think? Good for that climate?

See here: http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowBambooPic ... nus=*&s=17

I can't wait till my Huangwenzhu gets planted :mrgreen:
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Bionet

Post by Bionet »

Hi guys, I'm back!
Sorry for my long absence but I have very lot of work to do.

I'm noob about bamboo so I can only rely on you.
I'd like to make a little forest. I'd like to use a thick bamboo because I want also to make a little place inside the forest and I want to be isolated from the rest of the world. From the outside must be impossible to see what happen inside and vice versa.
I'd like to make a little nest where relax myself.

I live in tuscany and in summer the temperature reach 40°C. In winter the coldest temperature usually is -5/-10°C.
As I've written before, I'm a noob on bamboo so please suggest me a specie that doesn't need too much care ( i don't want to kill this wonderful plant).
In addition I've found an italian website with a lot of bamboo seeds (http://www.exotic-plants.de/semi/bambu.php?Seite=1). Is anyone of this suited for my needs?

(Again: sorry for my english, I'm trying to improve it)