Help identifying this bamboo species and finishing technique

Moderator: needmore

creagz
Location info: 0

Help identifying this bamboo species and finishing technique

Post by creagz »

I'm a novice about bamboo (both species ID and bamboo construction techniques) and I'd like help identifying this bamboo species, as well as info about how you think the ridges were sanded down and dark brown color achieved. I'm trying to match the look of this piece of bamboo.
This piece of bamboo was purchased in a store in Japan, so I didn't harvest it and couldn't ask further identifying features.
If anyone could reply with general clues about possible species and construction techniques needed to achieve bamboo of this finish quality/color, I'd greatly appreciate it. And if I could provide additional images or info, I'd be happy.
Sincerely,
Paul
Attachments
Bamboo interior and width lorez.JPG
Detail of color and smooth surface.
Detail of color and smooth surface.
I'm trying to match or get close to the dark brown color.  I'm also trying to replicate the smooth surface.
I'm trying to match or get close to the dark brown color. I'm also trying to replicate the smooth surface.
Bambusero
Location info: 0

Re: Help identifying this bamboo species and finishing techn

Post by Bambusero »

Hi Paul,
I can't help you with the species (I doubt anyone could with your sample) but I can with the finish.
It has been heated, probably with a blowtorch, possibly over a fire. Ay first a resin will exude from the surface which you can wipe off with a cloth then keep heating for a darker colour if you want.
It has then been sanded down to remove the epidermis and in turn getting rid of the nodes. Be careful when sanding bamboo as the dust is very bad for your lungs, wear a mask.
Hope this helps.