Oral Setae as ID

Moderator: needmore

oobmab
Location info: 0

Oral Setae as ID

Post by oobmab »

Can copious quantities of long petiole oral setae ever be used to uniquely ID a bamboo? One of my boos has very hairy petioles with many of the oral setae being 1/2" (12.7mm) or more in length. In other words, is there a phyllostachys boo (or boos) that has this as a unique characteristic?
Tarzanus

Re: Oral Setae as ID

Post by Tarzanus »

Juvenile Moso seedling had enormous oral setae, but with time, both leaves and the setae got smaller.

Example: :mrgreen:

I've also noticed uncommonly large leaves and oral setae on other Phyllostachys too, aurea, for example usually had relatively small leaves and whiskers, but there are several shoots that look more like 'survivalists' that have twice as large leaves and giant oral setae. How old is the bamboo, was it under stress so you might look at survival shoots? How large is it?
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

OK, that may be all it is then. These shoots are juvenile survivors. I have noticed the larger than normal leafs on juvenile shoots for several of my varieties, but only one variety has the huge oral setae. Looks just like your picture.

Are there other varieties besides moso that have copious, long, petiole oral setae on juvenile shoots? It seems to be somewhat unusual as my henon, rubro, and yellow groove don't.
dependable

Post by dependable »

P primotina has them, maybe not as big as moso.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

P. kwangsiensis has ones as big as primotina. I wonder if they'llmshrink as the plants mature. On Sunday we saw the kwangs we grew from seed in 2012 and they are 8ft tall already. primos are 5ft from Oct 2013 seed and may be the fastest one of all; said to have tasty shoots.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
JWH

Post by JWH »

johnw wrote:P. kwangsiensis has ones as big as primotina. I wonder if they'llmshrink as the plants mature. On Sunday we saw the kwangs we grew from seed in 2012 and they are 8ft tall already. primos are 5ft from Oct 2013 seed and may be the fastest one of all; said to have tasty shoots.
That's amazing Johnw! Would love to see pictures, if you happened to take any.

I recently became the new owner of a dozen Moso seedlings, HUGE oral setae!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
johnw

Post by johnw »

JWH - I recently poosted pix of the primos. The kwangs are 100km away from here, we saw them through the ghouse vents as the doors were locked on Sunday so we didn't get pix. Next time up I will.

john
johnw

Post by johnw »

Here's the oral setae on P. primotina this morning.
Attachments
Phyllostachys primotina oral setae  Halifax-20141008-03350.jpg