Phyllostachys vivax?

Moderator: needmore

Kostas
Location info: 0

Re: Phyllostachys vivax?

Post by Kostas »

Thank you very much for your replies Brad and Nicholas!

Will definitely look and photograph the shoots of my friend's clump,bad thing is,it will probably be 6 months to shooting season... :roll: Hope my friend finds his photos earlier!
And of course hope my division grows,nothing visible so far but no dieback of the cut culm either.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

The culm put out a runner!!!

Saw it just a few days ago and I am thrilled! Now I have to move it carefully to my other garden where I want it grow,hopefully I don't stress it and don't damage any rhizome. It's just a month in its current position so should be relatively easy to pull it up carefully after I dig any roots the runner may have put down. Looking forward to the first culms!!!
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

It would be wise to let it get more established before trying to move it yet again especially when it is obviously so active and likely with virtually no roots on that runner. What's the rush? Of course I suppose you may be trying to catch your rainy season.....what about next October?
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

JWH wrote:It looks almost identical to my Iridescens.
I would agree with this. It has the random light stripes that my Phy. iridescens has. I would say that it is not Phy. violascens, as those do not get that tall and they have far more vivid streaks and stripes with different colors. Of they two types of violascens that I have seen, one has more brownish stripes (which I have), and the other type is more purple. Both types are far more colorful and vivid than yours. It does not look like Phy. vivax to me.

I would move it now, before more rhizomes and roots grow. Greece is pretty warm, year round. It looks like it has enough energy to survive. What you have there is a whip shoot, a rhizome that will likely turn upward and grow into a culm.
Happy trails...
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Thank you very much for your replies! :)

It's putting out a new culm now and took some photos to help with ID

This year's developing culm behind last year's culm

Last year culm's folliage
vindiesel.zmaj

Post by vindiesel.zmaj »

Looks like Ph. bisetti to me...
steffen

Post by steffen »

The pics from 2014 show unequivocally Phyllostachys violascens. And btw. it's not praecox 'Violascens', it's violascens 'Praecox' (if at all), violascens was published first and therefore has priority as species name.
Regards
Steffen
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Thank you very much for your replies!

Here is a photo of the coloration of the underside of one of the cataphylls. It's all purple undeneath

So it's Phyllostachys violascens?