Can you identify this Phyllostachys?

Moderator: needmore

WendyH
Location info: 0

Can you identify this Phyllostachys?

Post by WendyH »

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me identify the bamboo I have growing here. I'm in Central Portugal and inherited it along with the property. When I bought the place 5 years ago, this was just a small clump of spindly canes no more than 2.5m in height. The canes are getting thicker and taller with every passing year and this year they're up to 7cm diameter and 6m or so tall. I've got as far as narrowing it down to a Phyllostachys, but I don't know which one so I'm hoping someone here will recognise it. Here are some images of this year's shoots and the canes and leaves once they're grown.

Thanks!
Attachments
bamboo4.jpg
bamboo2.jpg
bamboo1.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Can you identify this Phyllostachys?

Post by needmore »

Greetings, I believe that you have viridiglaucescens, google photos of mature shoots of that species and you should see the similarities. This bamboo can look like nuda but the shoot structure is the clue.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
WendyH

Re: Can you identify this Phyllostachys?

Post by WendyH »

Thanks for such a quick response! I couldn't find many images of the shoots of P. viridiglaucescens on Google, and it was hard to tell for sure from the ones I found, but it certainly looks the part in other respects. The culms do fade to an olive-green after the initial dark green. Some sites say it grows to 10m ... gulp!