Need help with type of bamboo, any help really appreciated!

Moderator: needmore

BekuChan
Location info: 0

Need help with type of bamboo, any help really appreciated!

Post by BekuChan »

Hello!

http://imgur.com/a/R50uE?gallery

I asked a little while back for some help with identification of a boo that some wonderful people on here helped with which was fantastic! And now I have a new type I would love to know what it is if possible.
I am from Sydney Australia (so quite warmish temperatures), the 'mother plant' of this bamboo was trimmed right down in to a hedge so I do not know what the real height is, however I have seen shoots in spring that grew quite tall (i am guessing 2-3 meters) before they were pruned right down and the bamboo is restricted in a smallish garden bed (possibly limiting the potential for taller shoots etc).
The leave bits where they and the stem meets has little hair type growths (I have included a pic of these) and I have noticed that on certain portions of the culm is a groove or indent running down however it is not along the entire length of the culm but rather alternating. (Pics inculded). I have not seen my plant shoot yet as I got it after spring and spring is still a while off! Please tell me if I need to post pics of anything else on the plant that the photos have not captured properly etc as I would really love to know what this is. Any help is really appreciated! Thank you so much :)

Regards,
Beck xx
oobmab

Re: Need help with type of bamboo, any help really appreciat

Post by oobmab »

I think it may be tough to ID with such an immature plant and no pictures of new shoots. Can you tell if the sulcus (groove, flat area) is more yellow compared to the rest of the internode? I can't tell from the pictures.

My immature henon and (supposedly) praecox look like your pictures.
Last edited by oobmab on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hi Beck,

it is hard to tell in the 3rd picture if the internodes are congested / "squeezed".

If so it would be Phyllostachys Aurea. I've seen a few Phyll. Aurea in Sydney along Glebe Point Road btw.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I see Phy aura for sure, those slightly swollen areas under the internodes for me are a dead give away.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Agree with Brad. Swollen nodes with waxy ring show it's almost certainly Phyllostachys aurea. Compressed internodes will come in a year or two, when it gets a bit more established.