Growth anomaly of new leaves on my bambooplants

Moderator: needmore

greenpharao
Location info: 0

Growth anomaly of new leaves on my bambooplants

Post by greenpharao »

Hi everyone, I have two bamboo plants on my balcony that I have had for many years. This year though some of the new leaves on the old stems of both plants exhibit an anomaly that 've never seen beforre. The pointy tip of the new leaveshoots are in some way attached to the old leaves. Best to see for yourself in attached pics. Has anyone any idea what/why this is?
Foto0423.jpg
Foto0425.jpg
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Growth anomaly of new leaves on my bambooplants

Post by bambooweb »

Some of my plants will look like that if they do not get enough moisture when they are shooting.

Bill
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Bill, are you sure it's low moisture and not too much or even salt build-up. I have the same thing happening on in-ground Moso. At one point it started drying growing tips. It was during or after "heat" wave so lack of water could be an issue (although there's plenty of water all the time this year...). I did not even think about it, because all the time before and after, we've had rain practically every day.

I on the other hand thought it might be wind, over-fertilization or overwatering related. I did not have a chance to pinpoint the exact time when it occured.
greenpharao

Post by greenpharao »

@Bambooweb @Tarzanus: I have not changed their feeding or water schedule from other years. Did your plants exhibit this behaviour pre-2011 Fukushima? I read that there are a lot of strange genetic mutations going on in flora and fauna recently.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

My Semiarundinaria fastuosa has been doing that since it was planted 10 years ago. It is in a dry part of my yard and the the leaves look better after I water them. The plants are in an open location so it could also be wind or sun affecting the plant.

Bill
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

greenpharao wrote:@Bambooweb @Tarzanus: I have not changed their feeding or water schedule from other years. Did your plants exhibit this behaviour pre-2011 Fukushima? I read that there are a lot of strange genetic mutations going on in flora and fauna recently.
Surely in Japan, but all over the world?
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

oobmab wrote:
greenpharao wrote:@Bambooweb @Tarzanus: I have not changed their feeding or water schedule from other years. Did your plants exhibit this behaviour pre-2011 Fukushima? I read that there are a lot of strange genetic mutations going on in flora and fauna recently.
Interesting oobmab! Can you point me to references for this?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
greenpharao

Post by greenpharao »

Very well informed uptodate site re Fukushima aftermath:

http://enenews.com/fairewinds-video-ano ... liar-disto

http://enenews.com/japan-scientists-tru ... ecosystems
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

foxd wrote:
oobmab wrote:
You will have to search for examples of mutations in Japan, but they are certainly there - http://enenews.com/
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I'm sure it's not the radioactivity.
Time to go to Fukushima and dig some bamboo. :D