Thought it was Vivax, but maybe not...

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Thought it was Vivax, but maybe not...

Post by needmore »

This one is baffling, I am inclined to say that I do not have this bamboo but that can not be the case, and it held onto lots of green leaves in subzero? If the new culms are a tad dusky like nuda then perhaps it is viridiglaucescens, those 3 shoot photos all look like different bamboo!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

needmore wrote:This one is baffling, I am inclined to say that I do not have this bamboo but that can not be the case, and it held onto lots of green leaves in subzero? If the new culms are a tad dusky like nuda then perhaps it is viridiglaucescens, those 3 shoot photos all look like different bamboo!
Different species is a problem that we may be dealing with, but all of the established culms look the same. Same general height, diameter, leaf color, culm color.

Yes, no leaf burn in zero F (and slightly below, -1 or -2 F) for maybe 3 days this past winter. Some leaf loss after I transplanted, but that's normal.

If you can give me some ideas of things to look for and document with photos, let me know and I will run over there.
Matt W
Location info: 91

Post by Matt W »

I have what is believed to be viridiglaucescens if you want to compare. This thread might be helpful http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic. ... 8&start=15 Or it might cause you to give up.
Link there to around 60 photos of a mature grove in Asheville.
My still immature patch took 50% or more burn this past winter.

Matt W
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

OK I went back to look a little closer (I'm learning). Sorry for the blurry pictures. I forgot to reinsert the memory card in my camera, but fortunately had another camera with me.

Culm sheaths have many fine hairs (blurry, but you should be able to get the idea at culm edges contrasted against darker leaves in background)

Leaf edges are finely serrated (not visible to my eye, but feelable). Could not see or feel hairs on underside of leaves.

Underside of leaves are a blueish green (is this what dusky means?)

btw this grove is at least 7 years old. The current owner bought it then, and the boo was already there. I may try to find out the previous owners name to see if he knows what it is.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Viridiglaucescens! It's leaves are blue-ish, just like the ones you've noticed, shoots are hairy, size does seem to be correct,..

edit: Added link to bamboo info from Germany. http://www.bambus-lexikon.de/phyllostac ... scens.html
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

It sure looks like Viridiglaucescens. Compare these two photos.

Photo of Viridiglaucescens from bambus-lexikon.de < click

Photo from donor grove I harvested from (click picture for more detail)

oobmab

Post by oobmab »

How is Viridiglaucescens pronounced?
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

Matt W wrote:I have what is believed to be viridiglaucescens if you want to compare. This thread might be helpful http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic. ... 8&start=15 Or it might cause you to give up.
Link there to around 60 photos of a mature grove in Asheville.
My still immature patch took 50% or more burn this past winter.

Matt W
If the following are true, you probably have viridiglaucescens:
  • Hairy culm sheaths
  • Smooth culms (no striations)
  • Underside of leaves are non-pubescent (not hairy)
  • Underside of leaves are glaucous (bluish green)
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

After researching this a bit, I am strongly convinced that what I have is viridiglaucescens. Thanks for everyone's help. btw viridi-glaucescens means 'green blue-green'; tops of leaves are green, undersides are blue-green.
Last edited by oobmab on Fri May 16, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

How about

vur rid di ('i' as in dip) glau (as in ow) kess sens

By dusky I meant that new nuda culms look slightly smoky dark - quite attractive, photos I've seen of viridiglaucescens have a similar look.

I think that the real viridiglaucescens in the US is uncommon and frequently mis ID'd. The first 2 times I obtained it, it wasn't, one proved to be a form of rubromarginata, one died off a struggling cold sensitive runt (I contacted that vendor and they agreed it was probably wrong but still listed it for sale last time I checked-unusual for them to do that. as they are quite reputable) The 3rd time I am still uncertain and doubtful as it has never matured so I've not seen the true shoots, and it is not very hardy. That is why I am always slightly confused when I see the real deal, it never matches mine nor any I've ever seen - that combo of speckled shoots with oral setae on a hardy bamboo is not common to my brain anyway.

David's looks real as does yours so it IS out there..
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

oobmab wrote:How is Viridiglaucescens pronounced?

i sounds as ee in Latin and v as w. Sometimes these sound so silly we anglos avoid them - i.e. species ending ii, my bio prof would say ee-ee but everyone in class said ee-eye, though he was correct it sounded silly. My Latin prof was an old army major and said he could never imagine Caesar returning from African saying way-nee, wee-dee, wee-key.

So the bamboo is pronounced as weer-ee'-dee / glowh-kess'-sens.
Everyone I know would go for: veer-ee'-dee / glowh-kess'-sens, be that right or wrong.

' = accented

glowh as in bough
kess as in guess

BTW you'll get a different story from every second Latin prof. Go to Europe and it is not so easy to understand their Latin as they follow the rules.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

Perfect. I completely missed the 'kess' part. I was saying 'glowh sens'. Thanks.
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

oobmab wrote:After researching this a bit, I am strongly convinced that what I have is viridiglaucescens. Thanks for everyone's help. btw viridi-glaucescens means 'green blue-green'; tops of leaves are green, undersides are blue-green.
OK now I'm not as strongly convinced as I was. I just checked the undersides of yellow groove and bissetii leaves, and they look exactly the same: pale blue/gray green. Also, the underside of the leaf appears bluer in the photograph above than the leaf actually does to my eye.
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

One thing I just noticed is that new unfurled leaves on mature culms have a distinct bluish-green hue, especially towards the tip.