Help with identification

Moderator: needmore

Eddy
Location info: 0

Help with identification

Post by Eddy »

Hello all, I am new to the forum and looking for some help to identify some Bamboos I have.
These are currently in 30l pots but I am thinking of plating in a border. The Bamboos are approx. 2.4m (8ft) at the moment.
The leaves are about 10cm long.
Not sure if these are clumping or running, or even what type they are. Any suggestions would be great.
Ed
Attachments
2014-04-27 11.43.29.jpg
2014-04-27 11.42.45.jpg
2014-04-27 11.40.51.jpg
Tarzanus

Re: Help with identification

Post by Tarzanus »

There are no distinctive features on these photos, but I think its Phyllostachys. Most likely Aurea.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Thanks Tarzanus for your really quick reply, (I'm new to bamboo as you probably gathered). What pictures would help in the identification?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Mature(er) shoots, detailed photo of branches (Phyllostachys have 2 to 3 branches, Pseudosasa even less, Fargesia, Bambusa, Chusquea on the other hand have like gazillion of them), lower part of the culm, overall appearance, color of 3 years+ old culms,...

While bamboo is still inside its pot, it's usually hard to ID it, because it's shoots usually don't get mature enough to show real differences. On the other hand, some of bamboos can show signs of compressed internodes, when they get severely root-bound. Check it's lower parts of the culm for compressed internodes, if you find them, it's most likely Phyllostachys Aurea.
dependable

Post by dependable »

One of the best ID features is the color of the new culm sheaths when they first come up.