Tiger grass or Bamboo?

Moderator: needmore

BekuChan
Location info: 0

Tiger grass or Bamboo?

Post by BekuChan »

Hello everyone!

I have some bamboo/bamboo like plant and I would love to know what type. Doing some research myself online has been very disappointing as I have a feeling now that my 'bamboo' might actually be the look alike grass 'Tiger grass' or 'Thysanolaena maxima'. :(

I was given small shoots and culms from a friend who also has no idea what it is.

Some background info if it helps, I am from Sydney in Australia (not sure how common tiger grass is outside of Oz), the plants that I have are no more than 1-1.5 meters and my friends are maybe 2-3 meters or so (not 100% sure) and I have had them for a few months only.

Here is a link to the album, I have tried to include pics of the culms, leaves and shoots to give a good overall picture. The pictures were taken at all different times/stages of the bamboo/grass over the last few months. https://imageshack.com/a/WmMb/1

If any more info is needed or more pics please let me know! And thank you :)
JWH

Re: Tiger grass or Bamboo?

Post by JWH »

The pictures look like pseudosasa japonica (a bamboo! :D ) to me.
BekuChan

Post by BekuChan »

Really? That is good news!! I really hope it is and not tiger grass. Thank you so so much JWH!

I do know that the culms are hollow if that makes any difference? (was able to see from some dead culms that were laying around my friends).

And pseudosasa japonica is a running bamboo (I just looked it up now hehe) and that does make sense as it has left my friends garden and is on the other side of her fence and public walkway (which isn't good). Some new shoots are a good 2-3 meters away from the closest culms. I did suspect it was running if it was a bamboo- although I don't really know much at all about bamboos so I wasn't sure.

Is there any way to confirm that it isn't tiger grass and is pseudosasa japonica or any bamboo of sorts ie something the leaves or culms will or wont have etc?

Thank you so much again I really appreciate the help :) What a great forum! :D
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Tiger grass doesn't branch. At least not the way bamboo does. On your pictures, it's clearly visible that the plant has branches. I have small tiny Pseudosasa japonica division and it looks identical. My first and possibly last guess would also be Pseudosasa japonica. Culm seems to be from 'classic' version, and not one of the "improved" versions with swollen internodes or leaf variegations.