ID this running species, possibly Chimonobambusa marmorea?

Moderator: needmore

TheGreenMan1982
Location info: 0

ID this running species, possibly Chimonobambusa marmorea?

Post by TheGreenMan1982 »

This is a very vigorous spreader but very attractive plant with nice weeping large leaves. Grows well here in the subtropics in a semi shaded position. I have noticed two colonies growing around. What is it? to me it resembles a Chimonobambusa?

thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96984539@N07/9847960156/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96984539@N07/9082492554/
ShmuBamboo

Re: ID this running species, possibly Chimonobambusa marmore

Post by ShmuBamboo »

That does not look like Chimonobambusa marmorea to me. The leaves on Marbled are smaller and grow tighter in clusters on short stems from the culms. I can always spot them here in any nursery or garden. Though they may grow differently in a more tropical climate. I have 3 of them growing here. Those leaves look more like Chimonobambusa quadrangularis which I also grow, but they are easy to ID with their square shaped culms. All the Chimano boos tend to have swollen/bulging nodes as well, some types are more prominent than others. Marbled also only grows to about 6 feet tall (2 meters in Oz), and those look a lot taller to me.
Happy trails...
TheGreenMan1982

These are growing in the subtropics in quite a shaded position. The leaves have some patches on them? is this a feature of marmorea? Very interested to get an id on them. The culms in the sun had leaves much closer together.
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Marbled just has solid green leaves. They also grow compact and 'furry' in the shade here. They prefer semi-shade and filtered sunlight, or late afternoon or early morning sun, otherwise they are apt to get leaf burn. They are called marbled bamboo because they have marbled colored new shoots and culm sheaths. The ABS lists them as growing to 6 feet, as does The Book of Bamboo, but I have several other boo books that say they grow to 8 or 9 feet (to 3 meters). I have never seen them taller than 6 feet here in the western US though.

You would need to post more photos to get a better idea of the type. Culm closeups and close shots of the leaves. Otherwise it looks like a jumble... Chimanos, like Fargesias, will put up new culms here in late fall that overwinter with no branches, and fully leaf out the following spring. Then they will fill out and grow more branches farther down the culm in following years. Chimanos do not like cold though, and are not very hardy. I have to protect mine here in winter months. They are ~extremely~ invasive. I keep mine in pots for that reason. Marbled boos have short branches that appear in threes. The culms are straight until they leaf out and then they arch over at about mid-culm. The leaves are 3-7 inches long, and about 1/2 inch wide. There is a variegated type that has narrow random leaf stripes, and a yellow culm color (a classic bamboo chimera).
Happy trails...
TheGreenMan1982

I think its a Pleioblastus species