Castillon variation

Moderator: needmore

kudzu9
Location info: 0
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Castillon variation

Post by kudzu9 »

About 8 years I dug up a bunch of bamboo at place that someone had tried to turn into a bamboo nursery, but failed at. The next owner knew nothing about bamboo and offered to let me dig as much as I wanted for $100. There were lots of different species, and one of them was a clump that I thought was Castillon. It had the standard appearance with a dark green sulcus and striated leaves. Today, when I was clearing out old culms, I noticed that, although the bulk of the culms looked like conventional Castillon, there were a few that had a lot of green striping variation that was not confined to the sulcus. Take a look at these photos and tell me what you think. The first picture is the standard look of most of the culms; the other two show the variation. Is this variation typical for Castillon, or is there something else going on here?

JWH

Re: Castillon variation

Post by JWH »

Let me start by saying that I dont grow Castillon, but I know extra green stripes happens with the other yellow/green groove bamboos. I have seen extra green stripes in my Spectabilis & Vivax Inversa. I think Needmore has pictures of his Spectabilis with a culm half green and half yellow.
ShmuBamboo

Re: Castillon variation

Post by ShmuBamboo »

The odd striping becomes more common as Castillon gets larger. At Bamboo Garden they have huge Castillons and at the base they get really streaky large green stripes on them. There are also several clones of Castillon, and some have more varied color patterns in them. I have 2 types myself, and one is more cold hardy and lighter in color variation (more faded green on yellow) and the other is more cold sensitive and has a brighter contrast between the green sulcii and the yellow culms.
Happy trails...