Bamboo ID pls ?

Moderator: needmore

springtimeshoots
Location info: 0

Bamboo ID pls ?

Post by springtimeshoots »

About a year ago one of my friends bought a house with bamboo and this is one of the bamboos he gave us.

This bamboo is about 12 feet tall and the mother plant at his house is around 15 feet tall. The new shoots have a bluish powder tint covering the culms.

My best guess would be Yellow Grove.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Attachments
3.1.jpg
2.2.jpg
1.1.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo ID pls ?

Post by needmore »

Welcome, for certain it is a form of Phyllostachys aurea...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Definitely Phyllostachys aurea.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Friend had to rub it in today by sending this shot of a P. nigra in Alhambra. Any idea which one?

Looks mighty dry there.

johnw
Attachments
Phyllostachys nigra @ Alhambra, Sp. image-1.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

That is without a doubt, phyllostachys aurea (golden bamboo). I see you have a fence right behind it which I'm guessing separates your yard from your neighbors so when you do intend on planting it in the ground, I would recommend giving a few feet of space so you can rhizome prune, and perhaps install a barrier as well.

This is a screening bamboo, and perhaps the most rampant spreader out of them all as it both spreads very far and makes lots of shoots in zones 7 and above. I see you have shoots already so that means you are probably in very warm climate such as Louisiana, or southeast Texas.
dependable

Post by dependable »

In zone 7 here and my P aurea got killed to the ground several years ago by cold. It came back, but never got going as well as some of the other more hardy Phylostachys. Perhaps this is another case where light duration is factor besides cold.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

dependable wrote:In zone 7 here and my P aurea got killed to the ground several years ago by cold. It came back, but never got going as well as some of the other more hardy Phylostachys. Perhaps this is another case where light duration is factor besides cold.
Look up Block Island, RI they have a Oceanic climate. The fall and winters are warmer then the mainland. But the spring and early summer temps are much cooler then the mainland. This has the effect of greatly shortening the season phylostachys can shoot and then run each year.
M
dependable

Post by dependable »

The maritime climate does not seem to favor P aurea then. It does not seem to bother most of the other Phyllostachys I have going here.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Aurea is not exceptional among Phyllos when it comes to cold hardiness. It's one of bamboos that can be even grown inside, which means they are not picky when it comes to sun exposure either.

I'd say it would be spreading all over like Caryn's infestation in warm places with mild winters. Short cool summers would make them less aggressive, but mild winters would definitely bring some vigor back. I don't see any problems growing it here in around 7a climate. Most of the winters it should be OK, from time to time, it may get even top killed, but I'mm sure in one or two seasons, it should kick back into action. Milder climates would have more steady, yet perhaps a bit slower growth without setbacks.