Unknown timber bamboo

Moderator: needmore

kudzu9
Location info: 0
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Unknown timber bamboo

Post by kudzu9 »

I got this one a couple of years ago in a trade. Nothing too exotic, but I've never been sure what it is. Input, please?

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Unknown timber bamboo

Post by stevelau1911 »

http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5588

http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5700

I believe it could be one of the dulcis cultivators, maybe shanghai 2 based on the pattern of the culm sheaths, but it certainly looks a bit different from the version of dulcis that I have.
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Steve-
I've got a dulcis and it has thicker culms with a tendency to lean and have a curve. This unknown grows pretty straight and upright.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Nuda shoots sometimes have very similar culm sheath and are upright, and bright green when freshly sprouted.
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Looks like vivax type to me. Mine are at the same stage of shooting south of you in the PNW. Typical of vivax, long leaves, especially in juvinile size and lower short-culm parts of the plants, with spotted culm sheaths, and green culms with bloom around the nodes. For some reason all my vivax is shooting tall and traight this year, as opposed to very ached over last year. It could also be iridescens, which is very similar to vivax during shooting though mine is done shooting and is leafing out now. Both iridescens and vivax culms fade to more yellow-green with age, but iridescens seems to turn more yellow. I have a lot of nuda, and they have super dark -almost black- culms when the sheaths fall, turning lighter green after a while. Nuda also has smaller and somewhat wavey leaves. They shoot earlier here than vivax and they are pretty much done leafing out here now.
Happy trails...