possible drepanotachyum falconeri

Moderator: needmore

Bambusero
Location info: 0

possible drepanotachyum falconeri

Post by Bambusero »

I'm happy to have joined your forum, which I have been reading for a while now. I find it very informative and useful.
I am attaching some photos of what I believe to be Drepanostachyum falconeri, but which you may know as Himalayacalamus falconeri.
Your thoughts?
Attachments
P1020800.JPG
P1020799.JPG
P1020796.JPG
pokenei

Re: possible drepanotachyum falconeri

Post by pokenei »

It's a nice clumping bamboo. Are the green culms from the same plant?

Anyway, I think it looks similar to fargesia denudata.
Bambusero

Post by Bambusero »

Thanks Pokenei,
Yes all the photos are from the same clump. The yellow culm arches over so gets more sun. The base of the culms are in full shade.
I have attached some more photos of a different clump from the botanical gardens in Dunedin which show what it's like when the outer culms are trimmed. It almost looks like a different species but I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm just trying to get feedback on whether it might be D. falconeri. Are you familiar with that species?
But thanks for your suggestion, I'll look that F. denudata up.
Attachments
P1020456.JPG
P1020455.JPG
P1020454.JPG
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Greetings, beautiful bamboo! Sadly there are not very many parts of the US where the climate allows this genus of bamboo to grow, mainly the maritime parts have the right combo of cool, not too cold, not too hot, not too dry.

I suspect that not too many forum members are familiar with it but hopefully one can respond. I can not grow them for sure where I live.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Markj

Post by Markj »

Loverly looking plant :D

Look out for a jelly like substance that new shoots produce when about half way up, big plants can get real slimy if conditions are right. It's the only one that dose this so it'll be pretty distinctive and easy Id feature.

:D
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Bambusero

Post by Bambusero »

needmore wrote:Greetings, beautiful bamboo! Sadly there are not very many parts of the US where the climate allows this genus of bamboo to grow, mainly the maritime parts have the right combo of cool, not too cold, not too hot, not too dry.

I suspect that not too many forum members are familiar with it but hopefully one can respond. I can not grow them for sure where I live.
Thanks Needmore,
You certainly have some hard conditions to deal with. I guess we are quite lucky here, never thought about it before. I'm sure most growers want slightly different conditions to those they have to be able to grow different varieties. i for one would love to be able to grow more tropical bamboos but it's just not warm enough.
Bambusero

Post by Bambusero »

Markj wrote:Loverly looking plant :D

Look out for a jelly like substance that new shoots produce when about half way up, big plants can get real slimy if conditions are right. It's the only one that dose this so it'll be pretty distinctive and easy Id feature.

:D
WOW Markj, never heard of that before. I'll keep an eye out. Where does they jelly appear, one the culm surface?
Chris S
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
Bambusero

Post by Bambusero »

Hi Chris,
Are you suggesting that it's not Falconeri and is planatus?
Thanks
Chris S
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

Correct - this looks like planatus to me. The leaves are too small for falconeri and I think I can see fine short hairs at the top of the culm sheaths on the shoots in your photo. Also your big culms look very similar to those I saw at Logan Botanic Garden, a nearly subtropical West Coast garden, and I have added a pic of those to my website page. Those culms were upright after substantial defoliation by a relatively hard winter for them, but they are very pendulous when a proliferation of leaves weigh them down after mild winters. Total topkill of this species for me for 3 years running here in central England.

I also added a pic of the gunge/mucus on new shoots, found on cupreus as well as falconeri. Note several bamboos have been grown under the name falconeri, so it is hard to nail that down precisely, more work required there...
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally