Moso or Phyllostachys?

Moderator: needmore

joshr799
Location info: 0

Moso or Phyllostachys?

Post by joshr799 »

Hello, this is my bamboo. Its been growing for about 47 years. It was planted originally by my great-grandparents who originated from Japan. i was hoping someone could help me identify exactly what type it is. I have done some research but cant tell between Moso or Phyllostachys bambusoides? I could probably take some better pictures as these are from a few years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25637120@N ... 605175861/

Anyway its growing at at even faster pace that every before and since it hasn't been contained it is becoming difficult to maintain. The rhizome is all over the yard, good thing there isn't anything but farmland near me.

Many people in the bamboo farming industry have been impressed by this grove and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with farming it. Perhaps this could prove to be a valuable resource if I could understand how to maintain it properly and provide some for others to enjoy.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Josh
richr

Re: Moso or Phyllostachys?

Post by richr »

Hello Josh - I'm not sure if Moso grows like this so far north. But it does look like Phyllostachys Vivax. It's absolutely huge for New Jersey!!!!!
I have a small Vivax that I've planted here last year - It has 7 culms but all under 5 feet.
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

It looks like vivax to me. The circumference of the grove is pretty big, but it certainly looks possible to use a trenching tool or cultivator, and sever all the rhizomes outside of the area you want them preferable right after new shoots finish growing because the rhizome system will be pretty spent by then. One way to help prevent them from sending out rhizomes that far is to thin out the grove by cutting out the older culms so there will be less photosynthesis. It should also make the grove look a lot nicer. A gas chain saw would be my tool of choice for thinning out 4 inchers, but they have pretty thin culm walls so a reciprocating saw should work as well.
joshr799

Post by joshr799 »

I'm not sure if you saw but I uploaded some new photos from today to that gallery. I took some measurements in the photos. From some of the largest stalks I got a 14" circumference and one dead one at 14.5". I calculated the diameter to be about 4.6" from that dead one. I'm not sure if helps but others have asked for the diameter in the past. I do have a nice Stihl chainsaw for cutting some stalks on the outside that are blown over from storms and things but I haven’t tried to thin it out yet. I think my main concern with thinning is do you dig up the stump that is left behind from cutting or leave it?

I think I'm at the point where I need to do something. Thinning would be a great idea since it is very very dense at this point on the outside perimeter. I also need to barrier it if you think that is possible. I’ll try to get some pictures and measurements of the rhizome but it seem pretty strong and I’m worried that I’ll need something thick if it’s some sort of plastic.
I also seem to get a lot of poison ivy around the outside of the grove, not sure if that is normal for you guys. I’m not allergic but my girlfriend is and she has the scars now to prove it after trying to help me maintain it last year.

Another question I have is about the farming process. How does someone go about root balling these larger species? I have seen Bamboo spades for cutting the rhizome but will that work for something this big? Also, what stalks should be selected? I don’t think new stalks would have enough energy stored in the rhizome to survive so should 2-3 year old stalks be selected? Mine also seem to be getting quite dirty after 2 years or so. Also how do you know how large of a root ball to take, is it based on the height?
JD_z7a_NJ

Post by JD_z7a_NJ »

I agree, looks like Phyllostachys vivax. Very good sized for NJ. Very cool and interesting that you actually have a little bit of history behind it!

John
joshr799

Post by joshr799 »

I'm not sure if you saw but I uploaded some new photos last night to that gallery. I took some measurements in the photos. From some of the largest stalks I got a 14" circumference and one dead one at 14.5". I calculated the diameter to be about 4.6" from that dead one. I'm not sure if helps but others have asked for the diameter in the past.

I do have a nice Stihl chainsaw for cutting some stalks on the outside that are blown over from storms and things but I haven’t tried to thin it out yet. I think my main concern with thinning is do you dig up the stump that is left behind from cutting or leave it?

I think I'm at the point where I need to do something. Thinning would be a great idea since it is very very dense at this point on the outside perimeter. I also want to barrier it and now would be a good time. I’ll try to get some pictures and measurements of the rhizome but it seem pretty strong and I’m worried that I’ll need something thick if it’s some sort of plastic.
I also seem to get a lot of poison ivy around the outside of the grove, not sure if that is normal for you guys. I’m not allergic but my girlfriend is and she has the scars now to prove it after trying to help me maintain it last year.

Another question I have is about the farming process. How does someone go about root balling these larger species? I have seen Bamboo spades for cutting the rhizome but will that work for something this big? Also, what stalks should be selected? I don’t think new stalks would have enough energy stored in the rhizome to survive so should 2-3 year old stalks be selected? Mine also seem to be getting quite dirty after 2 years or so. Also how do you know how large of a root ball to take, is it based on the height?
JD_z7a_NJ

Post by JD_z7a_NJ »

Josh,

I have been selling large field grown specimens here in South Jersey for the past 4 or 5 years now. Shoot me an email and I will tell you what you need to know. Avoid the Bamboo wholesalers....
Alan

Post by Alan »

another vote for Vivax because they have thinner culm walls than moso, and in NJ you would have tons of top kill if it were moso.
-alan in seattle
zone8
JD_z7a_NJ

Post by JD_z7a_NJ »

Alan,

Moso actually does really well in New Jersey with no dieback. Aside from maybe a little after the first winter before becomming fully established. Photos below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johndiorio ... 702698908/