ID needed on a clumping bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: ID needed on a clumping bamboo

Post by Tarzanus »

I did take some photos of branching. On lower nodes, there is no branching if culm doesn't get damaged. On lower nodes when branching does appear, there are 3 branches at first, then they multiply rapidly up to around 10 branches and disappear in upper nodes. The whole thing soon gets heavy with foliage.
Lower nodes with small number of branches
Lower nodes with small number of branches
One node higher, number of branches is already higher!
One node higher, number of branches is already higher!
Extremely long culm sheath with branches starting to appear.
Extremely long culm sheath with branches starting to appear.
Wax is quite evident and it stays on the culm even when it turns brown due to sun exposure.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Culm emerging
Culm emerging
And that's how the shoot looks right before it starts branching out. Sheathes are just starting to get pushed aside by newly grown branches. These branches start branching out as well.
branch growth
branch growth
Branching culm in newly established bamboo "jungle" with Shiroshima in the background :D
Branching culm in newly established bamboo "jungle" with Shiroshima in the background :D
Gunnar_GG

Post by Gunnar_GG »

Gunnar_GG wrote:
Yushania brevipaniculata?

—————————————————————————————————
Then moriphen wrote:
Just checked the branch nodes are not as complex.
as what?

Yushania brevipaniculata.
Tree Grasses for Woodland Gardens
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Gunnar_GG wrote:
Gunnar_GG wrote:
Yushania brevipaniculata?

—————————————————————————————————
Then moriphen wrote:
Just checked the branch nodes are not as complex.
as what?

Yushania brevipaniculata.
Panicles and overall appearance all point to Yushania brevipaniculata.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Moriphen - Sounds like very good news to have wintered this Yushania! Keep us posted as it's one we want to try here.

May get out to the coast to shoot Scabrida. Potted ones in the city are slow to shoot this year.

Just so we can rule out F. apicirubens here are new shoots from Spring.
Attachments
Fargesia apicirubens Dabashan #2 Argyle-20130521-03363.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

Based on the branching patterns I see on all the new culms (2012-2013) this bamboo is in the Yushania genus. Bamboosourcery.com, carries Yushania chungii which is now known has Yushania brevipaniculata and that bamboo appears to be the most likely candidate. Shoots on Yushania brevipaniculata are very similar to my shoots and I presume as the bamboo becomes hardier and more established more of the unique shoot structure will become apparent. Branching and culm sheaths also appear to match my mystery bamboo. The thing to understand is I purchased this bamboo as a 3 gallon Fargesia sp. 'Scabrida' back in 2009, it then went into a 3 year decline with culms dieing each winter and new leaves getting eaten by white fly each summer. I had a another healthy specimen of F. sp 'Scabrida' in my garden too compare with so I made the assumption this was a tissue culture that failed to "take" and would continue to exhibit bizarre / juvenile growth. I was proven wrong in 2012 and 2013, when hardy pest resistant growth emerged, causing me to post this plea for identification.

In closing my mystery bamboo is almost certainly Yushania brevipaniculata and I liked to thank everyone for putting up with my wild guessing and adventure in bamboo botany.
M