New here -

Moderator: needmore

richr
Location info: 0

New here -

Post by richr »

Hello everyone - I'm new here. I got deeply interested in bamboo last spring. I'm located in Pittstown, NJ.
I have gotten some running bamboo from a local farmer. I cannot identify it. The grove is about 60 feet high
and has spread over many acres in the past 30 years. I thought it could be Besetti, but I am probably wrong.
Many Thanks,
Rich
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-04-16 at 6.56.12 PM.png
dependable

Re: New here -

Post by dependable »

Shoots look like bissetii to me, although I am no expert on ID. Do not know what green shooted Phyllostachys gets to 60 ft. Who knows, bissetii may mot have lived up to it's full potential until it hit the Garden State. I have some alleged bissetii that is taller than it is supposed to be as well, but nothing like 60 ft. (The oldest vivax here is getting close to 50 ft, but no mistaking shoots for bissetii.)
richr

Post by richr »

Hello Depedable - at least we know it's in the neighborhood of Besetti! I've started a number of plantings, this is one of six plants that I took and they are all doing nicely. I've bought 10 plants of Rubro from a dealer in Alabama, not doing very well, just twigs but no shoots yet. A big pot of 'something' from a farmer here in Pittstown,,,they could only speak Chinese, but managed to say $90 dollar for the pot. I also bought a small twig of Vivex, half of which got blown away this winter. Waiting patiently for shoots, but nothing yet. I have one more huge grove of 'something' to explore today,,,it's 25 feet high and very thick canes on another farm in Bloomsbury, NJ. I will use my chainsaw and shovel to dig this up.
Thanks,
Rich
richr

Post by richr »

additional photo
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 12.17.39 PM.png
richr

Post by richr »

additional photo -
Attachments
took these yesterday morning.
took these yesterday morning.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

60 ft? Unless you've cut a culm down and measured it, height can be very deceiving to the untrained eye. I myself vote P. bissetii myself and welcome to the group.
M
richr

Post by richr »

Hello Moriphen - Well,,,I think you are correct, it is probably more like 35-40ft. The culms were 1.75 to 2.00 inches. I had never been in a bamboo grove, and was overwhelmed by it's size. Although it was noon,,it was pitch black in the grove. Thank you for the Bissetii vote - all six plants are shooting up to 14" high, and there is a multitude of stalks.