Fargesia Apricirubens ?

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Fargesia Apricirubens ?

Post by dependable »

Well, you folks can probably tell I have some time to fry,, or at least am procrastinating on paperwork. Dump truck taking up whole slab and waiting for parts..low on billable landscape work. So I added plant list to profile. That was suprisingly easy as you don't have to look up spelling. Suggest every one do it if they haven't.

Anyway, I clicked on Fargesia dracocephala. This is a plant I bought under that name from New England Bamboo about 12 years ago. It stayed small for years, but has finally started to grow. So this is F Apircirubens? The plant list reclassified it for me. And a plant I bought commercially as F rufra green panda is dracocephala I take it. I guess I missed that article in ABS journal.(smile)
dependable

Re: Fargesia Apricirubens ?

Post by dependable »

I will try to download this picture. But I was mainly commenting that the plant list function reclassified this plant. (please ignore the lurking PS Japonica)
Attachments
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 7254 times
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Someone thinks that the old F. dracocephala actually fit the description of F. apricirubens, do it got changed, which left Rufa in the cold so to speak, so rufa is now technically F. sp. 'Rufa', sp being species, as in, Fargesia (of some unknown species) (cultivar) 'Rufa'

The last 4 years have seen quite a few revisions
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Oh.... Green Panda is just the trademark name of that plant, it is still F. sp. 'Rufa'
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

ghmerrill wrote:Someone thinks that the old F. dracocephala actually fit the description of F. apricirubens, do it got changed, which left Rufa in the cold so to speak, so rufa is now technically F. sp. 'Rufa', sp being species, as in, Fargesia (of some unknown species) (cultivar) 'Rufa'

The last 4 years have seen quite a few revisions
Your kidding me............. So I have a Fargesia sp. "Rufa" green panda......

dependable - Bamboo taxonomy is crazy. You wanna kill a few hours? Look up Fargesia Spathacea. You'll be brought all the way through Borinda, , yushinia, as well as Fargesia sp. rufa/draco., nitida and ,murielae.....
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

Be thankful bamboo doesn't flower more often, or we could end up with a dozen more species without any trouble at all. Case in point Hibanobambusa tranquillans and H. tranquillans ''Shiroshima' a mix of a Sasa and a Phyllostachys.

M
M
dependable

Post by dependable »

Seems like there is a lot of taxonomical shift in the botanical world in general. For instance, a few years ago, the common rose of sharon was althea, now the commercial cataloges list it as hibiscus.
dependable

Post by dependable »

So this plant is shooting, sold to me about 11 years ago as F dragons head. Is this apricirubens? Shoot is fuzzy. Has grown only this much in all that time w no divisions. Really taking off now! (why I like runners)
Attachments
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG
moriphen

Post by moriphen »

Ignoring the variation, my Fargesia apricirubens 'White Dragon' shoots are hairless or nearly so and older canes have a "speckled black" appearance. So I am not sure what you have, Can we get a close up of the shoot and a culm?

M
dependable

Post by dependable »

Here's the best I can do this morning with this camera. Shoot is pencil width and pronouncedly fuzzy.
Attachments
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG
moriphen

Post by moriphen »

The shoots are all out of focus :cry:
M
dependable

Post by dependable »

Only digital camera I have. Please look at new shoot to right of out of focus one. The far rt on img #0979 shows fringe hairs, pretty good detail.. Also in the first set w pencil, those aren't out of focus, that is how fuzzy they are. If I can get better pictures I will post them. Thanks.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

dependable wrote:Only digital camera I have. Please look at new shoot to right of out of focus one. The far rt on img #0979 shows fringe hairs, pretty good detail.. Also in the first set w pencil, those aren't out of focus, that is how fuzzy they are. If I can get better pictures I will post them. Thanks.

Some stupid digital cameras have problems focusing. You can try holding the camera in one hand, then place the palm in the same distance as your object (culm) is and focus. Then move your hand away and press the button completely to snap the photo. I often use this trick. :)
dependable

Post by dependable »

Good idea, trick the gd software.
Attachments
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG
moriphen

Post by moriphen »

Sadly my F. apricirubens 'White Dragon' is almost done shooting for the year, however there is good news. Your mature culms look a lot like mine with the culms angling oddly at each node. Not to mention the overall bamboo plant form looks very much like mine. The only sticking point is your overly hairy shoots, which according to Chris Stapleton's website don't match the plant ID.

http://bamboo-identification.co.uk/html ... ubens.html

M