Castillonis vs. Spectabilis

Moderator: needmore

Markj
Location info: 0

RE: Castillonis vs. Spectabilis

Post by Markj »

Here's a thought, how about :shock: cutting one of the culms the bambusoides are much thicker in the culm than aureosulcata. The ones here are probably twice as thick and boy do they take some shreading 8)

Nice pics, still waiting for shooting here :(
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

for needmore: If you compare hardiness, which one is better? My "Castillonis" isn't so hardy, is same like Phyllostachys aurea. But "Spectabilis" is one of the most hardy kinds i have. I think, there must be big difference in hardiness. If not, you don't have "Castillonis".
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Re: Castillonis vs. Spectabilis

Post by rfgpitt »

needmore wrote:I am supposed to have both and for the life of me, I can tell no difference. They started shooting at the same time, the shoots look identical to me and the Castillonis seems to have strong hardiness.
wufeng,

Looks like in the two years needmore has not really noticed a difference in hardiness.....
Rick
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Magic 8 ball knows:

Is Needmore's castillonis a different species, such as a spectabilis?
:?:

kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

Here is what Fred had to say about my ? to him......

If it came from my collection it was Castillon. My Castillon came from a nursery and I have had it verified by another bamboo nursery grower as Castillon. However, I trade alot, and send out trade plants that the previous owner has labled/ ID'd. Brad's plant came from a trade so I can't be 100% sure it was Castillon. The lady that I made a trade with has a large Castillon grove that has been verified by several collectors, however she also has some Spectabilis so she could have been in error on the ID. Real hard to tell the difference on smaller plants but pretty easy to differentiate on larger plants. I can't recall the plant that I sent you. One of the best ways to differentiate the two is how they look in the sun. Spectabilis turns a red rose color in the sun, Castillon does not. The striping on Castillon is also more bold/wider. Lastly,
Spectabilis culms tend to be very straight. Castillon culms have more culm variation
ie more crooked culms. Lastly, Castillon culms are very glassy to the touch.
I've never seen or felt culms as smooth and glassy as Castillon. Rgds - Fred Irvine
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Kurt, thanks for the info...I'm leaning pretty heavily towards mine being Spectabilis, I'm going to dig through my shoot pics from last year and see if I have one of this plant to compare to this years shoots. I'll also check to see if I can get the glossy culm thing as these new shoots mature.

I had really been hoping it was Castillonis as it had wintered over well this year at 3F. The quick sizing up of the culms also suggested more vigor than Spectabilis but those culm leaves just don't look Bambusiodes at all this year...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

Likewise, i was very happy to see the size shoot of mine, but it looks exactly like my YG. My other culms on the "castillion" are way too small to even check. The shoot looks nothing like the ones in the pics....I'm happy though....another z6 survivor....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello all,
I just did the culm feel test this afternoon, and Fred was right. After I cleaned off the dirt, and mildew, the 3/8" castillon culm was very slick, while the spectablis of the same caliper was like 600-800 grit sandpaper. I have the castillon in a pot, and the shoots are just not big enough to judge characteristics yet.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

Fred is usually right....the mix up could be an easy one if shipping out small plants....Thanks Fred for the input.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
hotchkiss
Location: Central Georgia, Z8a, just below the fall line, sandy loam soils

Post by hotchkiss »

Brad,
My castillon culms are smooth and straight. If you have spectabilis you should see some kinked culms eventually.

Mike
Mike in central Georgia