I D please Bamboo Gurus

Moderator: needmore

Cyberous
Location info: 0

RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

Question:

Its pretty obvious that this bamboo is happy, the question is; If this bamboo spreads out over the next couple of years to protect (from wind) the Henon, does my Henon have a shot at growth? The Henon does not like the wind at all, its poor little leaves shrivel and burn. Its putting up shoots but nothing spectacular.

What do you guys think will happen as this grove matures with these two different var's competing in a very windy spot?

The Vivax is in the back yard and is doing ok if it wasn't for the gophers. Its not as windy back there since the house protects the area some what.

Don
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Well Don your thread has certainly blossomed. That's the way it is with bamboo nuts- one thing leads to another. Anytime you change the microclimate you will likely change a plants response. Once again Brad is the microclimate guy.

bamaBamboo- the ground cover to the left appears to be vinca minor/major. There are about 5 or 6 varigated forms. The arrow shaped leaf to the right is similar to a climbing weed vine we have here, but I don't know the name.

Brad- Not only did the argenteo wake up, it exploded into several 1 gals that are thriving! The shoots on the prominens :?: I got from the ABS didn't look like bissetii, but hey, who knows. Time will tell.
Re propinqua. There is one shoot about 3ft from the mother plant that I could dig after it leafs out. It may be (not sure) a whip shoot, and I remember you are not a whipshoot fan, but I don't remember exactly why. I took some pics of the plant this morning, and I'll try to email them to you this evening for you to confirm the ID.

Markj- I really like the looks of 'luteo'. the colors are so monochrome, and the sulcus stands out sharply against the green. I'll be there this weekend to pinch a piece of yours :lol:. Just kidding but would like to meet you and see your collection if I'm ever in those parts. 8)

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Don, the only advice I have on your Henon is that if it continues to underwhelm you, then let the others eat it up. My Henon has been a total disappointment here but I think that voles and poor site conditions may be the reason. If you have species that do well in windy sites then let 'em go!
Don't even bother with Nuda there!

Markj - I need to send you a PM or email - preference?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hi Brad, whatever 's easiest .
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Cyberous

Re: RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

needmore wrote:Don, the only advice I have on your Henon is that if it continues to underwhelm you, then let the others eat it up. My Henon has been a total disappointment here but I think that voles and poor site conditions may be the reason. If you have species that do well in windy sites then let 'em go!
I can't believe its been a year!

To my astonishment the Henon has gone crazy putting up new much larger shoots. They are about 1/2 to 3/4" and I'm very pleased!

Its filling in quite nicely. As you can see 85% of the shoots are Henon. The Henon shoots are quite light in color compared to the other bamboo. The suspect bamboo still has larger shoots and was first to come up but the Henon has put out more and spread considerably. I have red arrows to identify the "Propinqua"

Have a great day!

Don

cyberous11

Re: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by cyberous11 »

Hi all,

Its Don, I have not been here for a long time and no longer have my old email so had to create a new account.

Anyway, my beautiful and hardy bamboo is flowering/seeding!

I started getting some strange looking shoots a month ago, they were quite lumpy and it was an unusual time for them. To my dismay I found that the bamboo is actually seeding, I'm so sad because it finally looked like a nice grove.

Anyway, anyone else seeding? How long until its all dead? I do have Henon, and Vivax growing in here but this unknown is the 50% of the grove.
Attachments
seed2.jpg
seed1.jpg
T9D

Post by T9D »

So we never ID'ed this thing and now it's going to die into oblivion with no name? I would think though in a way this could help ID it. Whatever it is must also be seeding right now all over the world. If we find out what is seeding we'll know. Or maybe yours is the first one to start.

From reading around it seems it takes a year and sometimes the second year to totally die off. Want to send us all some seeds so everyone can grow some? Certainly someone would be able to figure it out if they had in front of them growing.

Wait so it's not Aureosulcata? It's all zigzaggy like Aureosulcata I see back there.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

What about Phyllostachys heteroclada?
Zig-zags which we previously didn't see, culms have wax on them and are glossy which rules out aureosulcata. Phyllostachys flexuosa shoots are distinctive and I would also rule it out, despite the fact that culms do look similar, especially if you consider zigzags.

My guess would be Phyllostachys heteroclada.

Can you cut one of the stems so we can see how thick the culm walls are? Heteroclada should have quite thick wals.
dependable

Post by dependable »

The only Phyllostachys (flexiosa) I saw go to flower did have some rhizomes that survived, and came back pretty well after a few years. Good reason to use a mix of types when planting a screen.

If you get some viable seed, it will be of great interest also.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I'll throw this out for what's it's worth. Is there a possibility it could be P. glauca? I ask as P. glauca 'Yunzu' flowered recently so maybe glauca is following the lead. Then again I can't recall anyone I know who's grown the straight species.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I think it can't be P. glauca. It's shoots are purple and culms entirely different.
cyberous11

Post by cyberous11 »

Here are a few more pictures just snapped.

The columns come up straight 98-99% of the time. However, these seed shoots are crazy looking, very bent and zigzaging (see photo)

I would expect that the seeds need to naturally drop, so I have no problem gathering a buch up, there's going to be plenty.
I can put some in envelopes and ship out if you all really want some, but it has to be reasonable amount of people LOL, cant sped a ton of postage :)

I took a picture of one column and cut it to show the wall thickness, before the crazy seed shoots most of the columns were coming up at 1-1.5" thick.
Attachments
culmn thickness.jpg
crazyculmns.jpg
grove burnt leaves.jpg
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

I'll throw this out for what's it's worth. Is there a possibility it could be P. glauca? I ask as P. glauca 'Yunzu' flowered recently so maybe glauca is following the lead. Then again I can't recall anyone I know who's grown the straight species.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:11 pm
Hey John, I'm growing the species P. Glauca. Haven't noticed and flowering yet. It's looking really healthy and I'm hoping for a large upsize. Maybe you need a small division if I can get one. There still seems so be some good whips coming off as it spreads.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Here are a few arcana shots.

There was mention a couple of years back of arcana 'Luteosulcata' having a half-hearted attempt at flowering......

johnw
Attachments
Phyllostachys arcana NSCC Kings, Subd. B-20130522-03554.jpg
Phyllostachys arcana @ Kingstec-20120620-00720.jpg
Phyllostachys arcana @ Kingstec-20120620-00718.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
cyberous11

Post by cyberous11 »

Very interesting, I do get a few of the zigzag culmns but not often.

The attributes align with the image and description on this page...http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowBambooPic ... enus=*&s=2

Long leaves, only gets 1.3" thick

The seeding photos look spot on.
http://www.bambus-lexikon.de/phyllostachys-arcana.html