I D please Bamboo Gurus

Moderator: needmore

Cyberous
Location info: 0

Re: RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

Markj wrote:The only thing is ph. iridescens has stripy coloured culms, not so much on the newer ones but you can't fail to miss them on any older ones.
Yes I agree, but what if I have a "mutt" plant.

I was reading that some of the more colorful plants like Violecence, Iridescens, don't always produce their "Colors".

???
Markj

RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Markj »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah- thats what we get told here,"don't worry it'll colour up soon" the trouble is, it won't because it the wrong darn plant :twisted: .

Iridescens has stripes on mature culms, it's in the description, any plant without the stripes isn't iridescens - possibly another clone like shanghai 3 perhaps.

One quick question, has any of the sheaths fallen yet and has the exposed culms changed color at all :?:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Markj my actual first guess would be Li Yu Gan but I have not mentioned it since it is pretty uncommon here but heck I have it so why couldn't he - what do you think? Mine comes on much darker but the pics I've seen it Europe are way lighter than mine.

I'll post some pics later but the shoot looks right, the new culms have a purple ring and about an inch of blue under the nodes and the plant has large leaves.

My arcana does not have the blue but is a bit white powdery and has dark splotches on the new culms down low. I looked at Flexuosa, Iridescens and others today and the closest 2 are the Li Yu Gan and Glauca Notso.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cyberous

Post by Cyberous »

Yes on the tallest shoot it has a dark patch under the node/branch in the (think its called suculos? the groove the branch comes out of (dark as in black/purple same color as the ring around the node) but not much about 1-2" down, it seems to be consistant with all the shoots.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Don- Tell us about your local weather patterns, and your lowest winter temps. It might help narrow the choices. Thanks.
David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Cyberous

Re: RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

David wrote:Don- Tell us about your local weather patterns, and your lowest winter temps. It might help narrow the choices. Thanks.
David
Hollister CA 95023

California Coastal Weather (Monterey/SF weather)
Mild winters, rarely 32deg (maybe a week at most)
Mild summers, rarely over 100 (maybe a week at most)
Little rain (but I do have sprinklers on the bamboo, 15min a day).

Windy,.. SUPER Windy.

Morning fog burns off at about 10am, heats up the soil, causes hi-pressure, zone, the ocean (low pressure)is about 5-10miles to the west thru a valley by 1pm the wind starts to blow till about 5pm daily (they call it the "Hollister Air Conditioner".

Don
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

OK Brad you may be on to something. I just went out and looked at 'Beijing', and you may be correct. Prominent node, purple ring above the node, and blue tint below the node. I'm comparing an aborted, but still intact 'Beijing' shoot to the pics, and it looks dead on. It would also explain why the unknown bamboo appears so much hardier than the vivax, and henon in Don's pics. He said he got it from a bamboo nut so it could be 'Beijing'.

BTW Brad the "nuda" that I dug at Byron does appear to be propinqua.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
BamaBamboo

Post by BamaBamboo »

While we are identifying the bamboo, Lets identify the ground cover as well......I have this ground cover growing but I don't know what it is:

Bamboo....The Gift of the Gods!!!!!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Don, here are some Mannii decora shoots,

as they elongate the colors can be quite showy

My Li Yu Gan start out very dark,

Then lighten quite a bit as they stretch

This picture does not quite capture the purple ring and inch or so of blue under the nodes of new culms, not quite enough sheath fall yet to show the blue but you can see it a bit on the larger culm bottom node.

Last edited by needmore on Fri May 23, 2008 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyberous

Post by Cyberous »

Wow you guys are amazing!

Yes the guy that I dug/got it from had some thing like 50 varieties. At the time of the dig I didn't really care what it looked like (as long as it wasn't golden) I just wanted large green bamboo :D

Most were in containers but others (the larger timber) were wildly growing on his property. I only know my Henon and Vivax are true (well as true as I know) is that I purchased from local bamboogiant.

Thanks for all your efforts, so as I know it I have an unusual for US bamboo,.. Yea Haw!!!

Li Yu Gan !!!?

Don
needmore

Post by needmore »

I'm still not convinced, partly because the Li Yu Gan/Beijing is so uncommon but also I've been having on-going dialogue with 4 other people about Li Yu Gan being a Propinqua - I think it belongs to the Glauca family, David Andrews thinks Flexuosa, a 3rd party also suggested Glauca. So yours could be a form of Glauca, they look so much alike. Glauca notso shoots are identical but I don't see the blue on the culms. Flexuosa culms have a slight zig-zag from node to node and I don't see that here. I have been wondering if the Li Yu Gan could be Glauca var. variabilis as it fits that description quite well - the culms are often a little splotchy down low once they age some.

Have someone with better eyes than me look at it!

David, if you have the true Propinqua I'm all about getting a piece. I have 2 different clones of nuda I think, but no names for them and you can surely have a piece of them if you are missing nuda entirely.
David

Post by David »

Don- Whatever the bamboo is- it's doing very well for you, and like you said it likes where it is. Its sizing up very nicely, so it looks like you got exactly what you were hoping for when you dug it. To have a bamboo performing so well in such a windy enviornment is quite an accomplishment!

Markj- Do you know of any collectors in the states that are growing arcana 'luteosulcata'? I know you are well connected and thought perhaps you might know someone that doesn't post in the forums.

Brad- I think I could take a piece of the propinqua this year. I'll take a look at it as I go to work this morning. No trade necessary- I owe you for the plants you sent me earlier, and I'll just be happy to finally be able to send you something!

Regards All.
David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hi David, not sure if i know anyone your side with this( I've plenty spare for anyone popping in) though, it's a nice plant btw- the colours and form are quite distinct well worth growing IHMO( although I'd say that about nearly all bamboo :wink: ).

Well it looks like my original thoughts about it being arcana are now scuppered, without the lower exposed culms turning black it was always gonna be a long shot :wink:

Here's pic of the luteosulcata form-

These are in full shade some shoots coming up in full sun do resemble Dons much more -honest-lol

Brad, I'm gonna have to look into this 'lu yan gouw' clone, I do recall Steve mentioning this a few years ago, if he's got this in his place in France I'll persuade him to let me pinch a bit- if not it's another for the list from Jos's...

Cheers.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Temporary thread highjack here - David and MarkJ, I have been communicating with Jos and I think that my import Prominens is...Bissetii. David not sure if your is as well, I brought a couple of them in, I have 2 and both are the same.

Mark, Jos will replace these for me but how to get them here - if you are planning to see him in the near future perhaps I can ask you to bring one home? Then I'll figure out how to get it from there, I'm more likely to visit the UK than Valkenswaard in the near future! No more import trips on my agenda, but also Steve may be an option to keep in mind.

David, did your argenteo wake up for you? Let me know I can dig more if you need me to.
Markj

Post by Markj »

Brad- I picked up a Prominens from Vandell, (German bamboo collector who posts here from time to time) seemed to have much larger leaves than bissetii almost vivax size.
I'm sure there's a way of replacing yours :wink: looks a promising plant.

Cheers