I D please Bamboo Gurus

Moderator: needmore

Cyberous
Location info: 0

I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

I got this bamboo a few years ago on a dig.

What I do know is:

Its not Vivax (I have that in the back)
Its not Henon (Have in the front next to this one)

Thoughts? I like it it has big leaves and seems to like its living qtrs :D

Thanks guys,

Don

Cyberous

RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

Sorry I posted in wrong forum, can a mod move for me?

Sorry have not been here for a while :(

Here are two more pictures, I was thinking it could possibly be Aurea, but the main culm was 25' tall and 2"+ thick when we dug it.

Also the culms are very green, and have been for years?

Don

Cyberous

Post by Cyberous »

I think I fignured it out using the photo gallery on this forum.

Phyllostachys decora ?

What you think?

http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowPictures2 ... Cat=*&s=11
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Pretty sure its not M. decora. In your series of 3 photos, the bottom one has a shoot off to the left and more off to the right - are those from the same plant, they look very different? I find it tougher to guess an ID when the shoots have elongated so much that the blades are stretched out so pictures of smaller shoots would be helpful.

The one I mention above, the shoots on the left plus the other pictures of culms look somewhat like a Glauca form, or perhaps Flexuosa, maybe Iridescens but the shoots on the right do not. I would also not rule Aurea but you could zero in on that ID by looking at the nodes of the smaller new culms looking for that telltale bulge at the node and note if the branching pattern is quite low. I've stopped growing aurea so I not too familiar with the shoots but the young culms are fairly distinctive.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cyberous

Re: RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

needmore wrote:Pretty sure its not M. decora. In your series of 3 photos, the bottom one has a shoot off to the left and more off to the right - are those from the same plant, they look very different? I find it tougher to guess an ID when the shoots have elongated so much that the blades are stretched out so pictures of smaller shoots would be helpful.

The one I mention above, the shoots on the left plus the other pictures of culms look somewhat like a Glauca form, or perhaps Flexuosa, maybe Iridescens but the shoots on the right do not. I would also not rule Aurea but you could zero in on that ID by looking at the nodes of the smaller new culms looking for that telltale bulge at the node and note if the branching pattern is quite low. I've stopped growing aurea so I not too familiar with the shoots but the young culms are fairly distinctive.
Yes all three shoots are from same plant. I'm pretty sure its not Golden (Aurea), I had Aurea in a container and it looks like mini Tortise shell Moso, this plant has no squished internodes (I think thats what its called)

I will try to get close up's of new shoots tonight.

Thanks for your help!!!

Don
needmore

Post by needmore »

Don't let the lack of squashed internodes rule out aurea, when I was growing it here, it almost never squished.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Don,
I was responding to your question last night, and the battery died prior to sending, and I didn't have the energy to type it again. So here goes again. I think it's iridescens, bright green culm, prominent node, bluish cast below the node, and it looks to me that there are some slightly lighter colored vertical striations on the culm. As Brad said it's not decora, could be flexuosa, but mine's darker. I don't think its glauca- mine's much darker in the shoot. I don't think it's aurea, the culm is not swollen below the node, and I see no compressed internodes. Trouble is iridescens is not that common around here, I don't know about your area. Anyway I'll keep thinking about it.

Regards,
David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Cyberous

Re: RE: I D please Bamboo Gurus

Post by Cyberous »

David wrote:Don,
I was responding to your question last night, and the battery died prior to sending, and I didn't have the energy to type it again. So here goes again. I think it's iridescens, bright green culm, prominent node, bluish cast below the node, and it looks to me that there are some slightly lighter colored vertical striations on the culm. As Brad said it's not decora, could be flexuosa, but mine's darker. I don't think its glauca- mine's much darker in the shoot. I don't think it's aurea, the culm is not swollen below the node, and I see no compressed internodes. Trouble is iridescens is not that common around here, I don't know about your area. Anyway I'll keep thinking about it.

Regards,
David
Thanks David for taking the time!

It may very well be Iridescens, I got the plant from a local Bamboo nut.

I will try to find new shoots to take better pictures when i get home.

edit: Just looked at some Photos of Iridescens in the gallery and the shoots are really blotchy like Vivax, I havent seen any blotchyness (sp) in these shoots? Again,.. will try to get new shoot pictures.

Don
Cyberous

Post by Cyberous »

Ok more photos.

First two of shoots coming out of the ground (nothing shorter)
Second of base of plant (it may help in ID?)
third is for size reference (my hand)
Last is overview of the area, as you can see the two Henon are quite small compared to this one. Also the Henon has only started to shoot, and the shoots are quite small.

Question, why is Decora ruled out?

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Don,
This year my decora finally began to size up, and the shoots are very distinctive. The upper border of the sheath leaf is a purple-brown color, and the upper border of the shoot in your last post is buff colored. It almost looks like bissetii.

Your environment appears to be arid, and windblown, and the comparison of henon with the unknown would seem to indicate a very hardy unknown plant. In that regard decora is very tolerant of dry, windy conditions. For the same reasons flexuosa might also be considered. Is it possible that you could have a mixed grove, because I'm seeing several diff looking shoots.

I still think the first pic you posted looks like iridescens.

Brad is our champion ID guru- what do you think Brad?
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

Don, stop ,posting photos, you're making it tougher! :wink: :wink:

I will try to remember to post decora shoot photos tomorrow, they are quite distinctive even when young.

David, I can see the similarity with bissetii but the blades do not quite look right nor do the new culms which for me are white powder covered on bissetii and much darker green.

I'm gonna be stubborn and still not rule out aurea but the blades are wrong for aurea, can you find the skinniest culms and photo the nodes? The shoot does not quite match anything I've seen lately and that does not leave much. The nodes do seem a bit pronounced, the blue under the node on new culms, the blades and the low branches keep me thinking aurea but surely the smaller culms would show a fat node even if the older ones do not and are not compressed.

Glauca, flexuosa, and iridescens all have similar blades but except for one shoot, the color seems to light for any of those. Iridescens, Flexuosa, Glauca notso, and Glauca yunzhu all are blue under the node but the shoots still seem too light - flexuosa shoots are quite magenta dark, iridescens are quite reddish dark and spotted even when young, glauca are kind of a mix of those 2.

When I eliminate all of the ones I think it is not, it doesn't leave much but the few above mentioned. I think you can rule out the following: aureosulcata forms, nigra forms, nuda, viridis forms, vivax forms, rubro, heteroclada forms, praecox, edulis, atrovaginata, parvifolia, dulcis, stimulosa, bambusoides

Here are some to still rule out - arcana, meyerii, angusta (usually lighter and spotted), propinqua (blaeds are usually slightly wrinkled) violescens?
Cyberous

Post by Cyberous »

Ok this is the smallest group (so you can see more than one) of canes I can find.

I looked up bissetii photos and that looks like the stuff too, I don't know they all look a like to me???
:shock:

Markj

Post by Markj »

I'd vote for Phyllostachys arcana~ :shock:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Cyberous

Post by Cyberous »

I've been ruling out Phyllostachys iridescens looking at the shoots in this gallery, but looking at the shoots via Google. I found this one, not too far off?

http://www.bambusy.com/galerie/pages/Ph ... ns%203.htm
Markj

Post by Markj »

The only thing is ph. iridescens has stripy coloured culms, not so much on the newer ones but you can't fail to miss them on any older ones.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!