I guess I will start this one off :)

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Bissetii

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:Here is a link from The Lewis Bamboo catalogue (thanks Roger) at the very bottom of the page are a couple of good Bissetii shoot photos.

http://lewisbamboo.com/bissetii.html

They have a strong resemblence, no?
Brad,

Although not close enough in appearance to say an exact match, the 2 bottom photos do resemble the shoot above. More so than the 2 shoot images from Bambooweb.info.

Roy in Tampa
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

shoots

Post by needmore »

Roy, I think it would help for ID's if we were to come up with a standard shoot height for photos. I do not know if it is as true with the tropicals, but to my eye, the temperate species shoots look different when only a couple of inches tall and they look REALLY different once they have elongated a bit. Somewhere around 4-6 inches perhaps, do they have what I think of as the 'classic' look for that species. Maybe it's just me and the way I've 'trained' myself to make species ID's from shoots.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy

Re: shoots

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:Roy, I think it would help for ID's if we were to come up with a standard shoot height for photos. I do not know if it is as true with the tropicals, but to my eye, the temperate species shoots look different when only a couple of inches tall and they look REALLY different once they have elongated a bit. Somewhere around 4-6 inches perhaps, do they have what I think of as the 'classic' look for that species. Maybe it's just me and the way I've 'trained' myself to make species ID's from shoots.
Brad,

Tropicals also look different from first emerging shoots versus a few feet tall. Pictures also make things look different based upon lighting and other factors. Here's 2 pictures of B. malingensis shoots, which when taken showed an accurate representation of what the shoots looked like, but when compared side by side they show some dissimilarities.

http://www.bambooweb.info/images/bamboo ... _shoot.jpg

http://www.bambooweb.info/images/bamboo ... shoots.jpg

Roy in Tampa
needmore

shootz

Post by needmore »

Even in your second picture the shoots side by side look different. I think it is almost essential in some cases to have multipe photos of multiple shoots for an ID. This year, what I assume was an environmental issue, many of my shoots had bright burgundy culm leaves and most are normally in the greens. If one were doing an ID based on color it could be problematic. Aureosulcata shoots can be burgundy with white thin stripes or green with the stripes, Mannii Decora the same green or burgundy. Sometimes an ID can be straightforward as in the Bissetii Meat posted here, but if someone were asking for an ID on the Bissetii shoots that you linked to, I would not have guessed Bissetii.

My Vivax shoots always come up in early April and they are creamy white like the white Asparagus, they are in a deep raised bed in a spot that warms very quickly, so these environmental factors really change the shoot appearance. Most folks would say that it can't be Vivax because of the early shooting and coloration, but it IS Vivax.

Roy, are you growing Nastus Elastus? I saw a beautiful one for $250 the other day here in Honolulu and I almost fell for the seduction, but it would be an injustice to the plant to pot grow it. This particular specimen was about 12 feet tall, multi-culm with a gorgeous leaf and branching structure - it also was a young culm and very blemish free.
Roy

Re: shootz

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:<snip>.
Roy, are you growing Nastus Elastus? I saw a beautiful one for $250 the other day here in Honolulu and I almost fell for the seduction, but it would be an injustice to the plant to pot grow it. This particular specimen was about 12 feet tall, multi-culm with a gorgeous leaf and branching structure - it also was a young culm and very blemish free.
Brad,

I don't know of anyone who is growing Nastus Elastus down this way. The ABS Source List only lists four vendors and they are on the left coast and one is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowSources.p ... &BooID=232

Roy Rogers
needmore

Post by needmore »

Roy, well, let me know if you'd like to plunk down $250 for one and I'll top it down to a dwarf size and bring it back to the mainland. Quindembo has it and this one is from them, via a local nursery, but they have a nice photo of it on their website that you may have already posted here? I'll check....
Roy

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:Roy, well, let me know if you'd like to plunk down $250 for one and I'll top it down to a dwarf size and bring it back to the mainland. Quindembo has it and this one is from them, via a local nursery, but they have a nice photo of it on their website that you may have already posted here? I'll check....
Brad,

The best I can recall, when I talked to Susan about using their photos at Bambooweb.info, was that some of the pictures at their site had been borrowed from other people so she did not want to give permission on images that were not hers or Peters. I submitted a list of the ones I wanted to use and they gave me the OK to use images that were their images. So the Nastus elatus image at their site must belong to someone else since it is not at Bambooweb.info.

They do have this nice new image they recently added:

http://www.bamboonursery.com/photos1.as ... tainer.jpg

Roy Rogers
needmore

Post by needmore »

Yes, that was the photo I was thinking of, it's a real beauty even in a pot but I'm very tired of caring for potted bamboo indoors!

Roy, I'm considering adding bamboo to our landscape at the store in Honolulu and the area receives only around 25 inches of rain per year. It may be possible for me to irrigate but I ask your advice on any species that may be more drought tolerant in your experience? Temperature is not an issue, and the exposure is FULL sun all day. How do Oldhami, Textillis, etc. fare in these conditions? I see BVV everywhere so I know it will work but I'm seeking something alternative to that, but common enough to not cost lots of $$$$$.
Roy

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:<snip>

Roy, I'm considering adding bamboo to our landscape at the store in Honolulu and the area receives only around 25 inches of rain per year. It may be possible for me to irrigate but I ask your advice on any species that may be more drought tolerant in your experience? Temperature is not an issue, and the exposure is FULL sun all day. How do Oldhami, Textillis, etc. fare in these conditions? I see BVV everywhere so I know it will work but I'm seeking something alternative to that, but common enough to not cost lots of $$$$$.
Brad,

I've never grown bamboo in a place with only 25 inches of rainfall a year. The only thing I would think would happen is that the bamboo will grow like it does in southern California. George Shor told me that his B. oldhamii gets about 40 feet maximum height. So most likely whatever type you grow will probably smaller than what is typical. Of course, with a little bit of irrigation in Hawaii, then you could get normal or even larger than normal bamboo growth. Which tropical bamboos, of the ones I grow, I'm not sure which ones are more tolerant of limited rainfall. Usually I don't have the dry conditions during the prime growing season in Florida; that being June-Sept.

Roy in Tampa
Eastlandia

RE: I guess I will start this one off :)

Post by Eastlandia »

Im going to wake this forum back up for one comment.
I have looked at P. Bissetii shoots from the north and south. Im sure that someone is right in the "height" difference above, but Im also convinced that the shoots have different coloration between states too....maybe. :?
Anyway the Clums that I was Pole-Valuting on in Slidell, LA were bissetii. I know this because the shoots had the Exact "orange" sheath tips as we see in Lewis Bamboo's photo.
However, looking at my own bissetii photos from IN it shows the dark brown sheaths.

aHa! just when scooby and the gang wrapped up a mystery, I jump in and put a twist the plot!! ....(cough)
-Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)