ID Unknow Middle Tennessee Bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Great pic, David.

Ok Brad, you may be right. It seems more of a slight bend than what I was thinking of when crookstem was mentioned. :roll:
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

OK. Let's assume that the crooks are from some unknown enviromental force, and let's assume for now that it is bissettii. If this is bissettii then what is #17 that I just posted as a new topic ?

:?
chele
Location info: 0
MTNs-.Mountain City,Tn 37683 area ,just a mile from NC/19 miles south of VA.- USDA Zone 6 Sunset 36 elavation 2500'-3000' Mountain Top-min temp -2 /..20-40F. average temp-north faceing slope mild summers seldom over 100/ 85-90 a

Post by chele »

David wrote:It looks a lot like atrovaginata but atro has darker purple-browm culm sheaths. It also looks like bissetii but the culm leaf blades are too long and the wrong color. P. heteroclada has my vote at present.
P.bissiti would be alot thicker..bissiti makes a super tight hedge so i think id rule that out

i located about 60 groove i have no idea what they are lol if you like puzzels :D

chele
group owner of:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bamboo_world

Co-Mod http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bamboo

Stress is when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't fallen asleep yet.

I live in my own little world,but it's okay,they know me there.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Positive ID

Post by David »

Welcome chele,
Did you get any snow with this last cold blast? I'm just down the road from you in Middle Tennessee.

I got a positive ID from Roger Lewis Sr when I was at his groves last week.
It's Arcana. Dark green sinueous, large green leaves held high, dormaint branch buds partially covered by the nodal ridge, crooks high on the culm..
So #18 turns out to be Arcana, and it's a unanimous Bissettii from everyone for #17. Thanks everyone that was fun.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Phyllostachys arcana

Post by Thuja »

David-- I bet arcana is rarely found. I'll admit I kind of doubted it when you 1st mentioned it as a possibility because of its rarity and obscurity. Also it surprises me that it is so cold hardy and big. I think most sources list it @ 0*F. Congrats!
--Mike
chele
MTNs-.Mountain City,Tn 37683 area ,just a mile from NC/19 miles south of VA.- USDA Zone 6 Sunset 36 elavation 2500'-3000' Mountain Top-min temp -2 /..20-40F. average temp-north faceing slope mild summers seldom over 100/ 85-90 a

Re: Positive ID

Post by chele »

David wrote:Welcome chele,
Did you get any snow with this last cold blast? I'm just down the road from you in Middle Tennessee.

It's Arcana. Dark green sinueous, large green leaves held high, dormaint branch buds partially covered by the nodal ridge, crooks high on the culm..
So #18 turns out to be Arcana, and it's a unanimous Bissettii from everyone for #17. Thanks everyone that was fun.
hi david
so far its on;y about 2" but as you know give it a day or so it be gone..
lol@david down the road bit..a 400 mile bit :lol: ..thou not that far away,your not to far from the turtles...you going to go to the feb 18th abs meeting in savannah ge?.. i will for its a good meeting and the auctions are very good for bamboo..and to see old friends...plus i am going to digging up bamboo all the way fron savannah to tn lol
group owner of:

chele

Re: Positive ID

Post by chele »

chele wrote:
David wrote:Welcome chele,

hi david
so far its on;y about 2" but as you know give it a day or so it be gone..
lol@david down the road bit..a 400 mile bit :lol: ..thou not that far away,your not to far from the turtles...you going to go to the feb 18th abs meeting in savannah ge?.. i will for its a good meeting and the auctions are very good for bamboo..and to see old friends...plus i am going to digging up bamboo all the way fron savannah to tn lol
question...is the arcana "half-black" ? if so its growing in the usda station in byron ge.
group owner of: