bamboo screen

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

EBinNC
Location info: 50

bamboo screen

Post by EBinNC »

First let me say thanks for the help.
I am going to plant a bamboo screen about 300'x12' in length that receives good midday sun on the edge of a wooded lot which may be developed in the next year or two. I was thinking about 30 red magin plants about 10' tall should get me started. What do you guys think?
Eric
kstanwick
Location info: 0
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

red margin

Post by kstanwick »

I must ask, were you planning on a barrier? I planted a few plants along my property line and there is woods adjoining me(on the other side of the bamboo). I don't think anyone will complain about bamboo spreading into the wooded area. (its thick with underbrush, pickers, etc.) I didn't use a barrier. i eventually will hope that the bamboo will overcome all the native brush and my side is lawn and i will mow that for control. I think your plant choice is ok but i believe you might have more sp. than i would to choose from.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
EBinNC

Post by EBinNC »

Yes, A 40 mil HDPE 36" barrier.
Oregonbamboo
Location info: 39

Post by Oregonbamboo »

Why Phyllostachys rubromarginata only? You might want to think about mixing two or three specie together in case rubro goes into flower at some point in the future and your whole screen dies. Just a thought. :idea:
AJ Williams
Cedar Mill Bamboo
http://www.cedarmillbamboo.com

100% Organic Garden and Nursery in Portland, Oregon
EBinNC

Post by EBinNC »

Good Idea, What other Phylo's would you recommend?
Oregonbamboo
Location info: 39

Post by Oregonbamboo »

P. nigra 'Henon' is one of my favorites and would be a good match up with Rubro in size and vigor. I've seen Henon and Nuda together as a mixed screen and that's a good match as well, although Nuda does not get even near the same size over time.

There are other good combinations if you don't need the height of a timber bamboo.
AJ Williams
Cedar Mill Bamboo
http://www.cedarmillbamboo.com

100% Organic Garden and Nursery in Portland, Oregon