Moso mini-project planted

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

CJW
Location info: 0
in a solid Z9 location.

Moso mini-project planted

Post by CJW »

The moso I got at Gardenworks that I transplanted a few months ago has now been put into the ground with some very rich soil and 3" of mulch on the base. We will see how well it does!!8):!:

Interesting to note that the moso split it's 3gal container that it was transplanted into and a huge mass of rhizomes were pushing on either side.. no wonder the container broke. :twisted:
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

RE: Moso mini-project planted

Post by Iowaboo »

Interesting to note that the moso split it's 3gal container that it was transplanted into and a huge mass of rhizomes
The problem isn't lack of rhizome production, but sizing up is the supposed problem. Hope your mini-project, in time, becomes something other than mini 8)
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Re: RE: Moso mini-project planted

Post by CJW »

lkz5ia wrote:
Interesting to note that the moso split it's 3gal container that it was transplanted into and a huge mass of rhizomes
The problem isn't lack of rhizome production, but sizing up is the supposed problem. Hope your mini-project, in time, becomes something other than mini 8)
Yes, I'll soon see. Moso is the slowest to get going. thing to remember is not to give up on it.
serenityinbamboo

Post by serenityinbamboo »

I will say it is Definitely slow growing!!! Here some of my moso seedlings, at a year old. They went through a rough patch, but they are starting to push new leaf growth now. They do have a ton of root growth though.

Granted, Florida zone 9a is not an ideal growing location for moso, but I am trying to toughen it up enough that it can be a "tropical" :lol: :lol: :wink: Wish me LUCK!
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

My MOSO seedlings also went through a rough patch the first year of growth. What I did, which seemed to help a lot, was switch to watering with distilled water. To the distilled water I added a full spectrum fertilizer with silicon. The change was amazing. At 21 months many are 2 foot tall and putting up new shoots. :D
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

serenityinbamboo wrote:I will say it is Definitely slow growing!!! Here some of my moso seedlings, at a year old. They went through a rough patch, but they are starting to push new leaf growth now. They do have a ton of root growth though.

Granted, Florida zone 9a is not an ideal growing location for moso, but I am trying to toughen it up enough that it can be a "tropical" :lol: :lol: :wink: Wish me LUCK!
What, are you trying to grow your moso in alkaline soil?, those leaves are burnt... Moso can be found down towards Okinawa and Kushima which have a milder climate than a Z9 Florida and have yearly averages in the lower 70s. Thats why I am kinda surprised that your bamboo isn't doing well.. a Z9 is perfect for moso.
It also looks like you aren't using mulch.. I'd be doing this and holding off on the fertilizers until it is 3 or 4 years old and in the ground.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

CJW wrote: .. a Z9 is perfect for moso.
It also looks like you aren't using mulch.. I'd be doing this and holding off on the fertilizers until it is 3 or 4 years old and in the ground.

Admitting right off the bat that I'm no expert in either Moso or seedling growth...I couldn't disagree more with the statements in the quote box. No way would I mulch a potted seedling as I suspect the burning was caused by the soil being too damp and mulching would only exacerbate the problem, plus I'd be certain to feed them.

I'm not aware of much Moso growing in zone 9 save perhaps Louisiana - could be, but I've never heard of it, I'd be willing to bet that a humid, continental zones 7b-8b better describe the perfect Moso climes.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

needmore wrote:
CJW wrote: .. a Z9 is perfect for moso.

Admitting right off the bat that I'm no expert in either Moso or seedling growth...I couldn't disagree more with the statements in the quote box. No way would I mulch a potted seedling as I suspect the burning was caused by the soil being too damp and mulching would only exacerbate the problem, plus I'd be certain to feed them.

No, I was saying about the soil condtions being too alkaline ( pH value), nothing to do with moisture.. It looks to me you have salt burn on those leaves.
If it is moisture which is possible, you'll be needing drainage, adding loam won't hurt.
Moso will grow in locations up to Z10, Kagoshima Z9a-Z9b, Kushima Z10-Z11, Nagasaki Z9

I'm not aware of much Moso growing in zone 9 save perhaps Louisiana - could be, but I've never heard of it, I'd be willing to bet that a humid, continental zones 7b-8b better describe the perfect Moso climes.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Zones mean nothing. If moso doesn't do well in hotflorida, it doesn't do well. It doesn't matter whether some place it does well is zone 10. Hope that helps confuse the clarification.
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

lkz5ia wrote:Zones mean nothing. If moso doesn't do well in hotflorida, it doesn't do well. It doesn't matter whether some place it does well is zone 10. Hope that helps confuse the clarification.
no confusion..
Well, Zones do mean something, after spending a few years studying at University, I assure you Koppen, and the other zone classifications tell quite a bit.
The southern end of the east coast of the US is almost identical to Japan's climate. I also spent quite a bit of time living in Japan and expiriencing first hand how this stuff grows. Moso, is slow growing, even in it's own climate. 20-30 years for a grove is not uncommon.
There are thousands of other reasons other than climate that would cause moso to perform poorly. Soil pH is a biggy. If you are close in an area that is high pH then some of the essential nutrients get locked in and it is a no go.
Ideally you should be aiming low 6-5.5pH, which is acidic.
what I am seeing in the picture looks like a burn from too much fertilizer or a salt burn from salt air on the leaves.
Too much moisture is also a possibilty but the new leaves would be affected too, so ... anyway.. My moso also has this colouration and this is because it got fed at the nursury with 20,20,20.
This stuff burns seedlings at regular concentrations. It is recovering now.

I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT ON MOSO. I too am somewhat new to this particular bamboo and I have heard many myths about it.
I visited the takehei bamboo museam in 2000 which is inside a bamboo forest located near Arashiyama in Kyoto, it is 100% moso.. The museam is run in part by the Takehozon-kai, bamboo preservation society. These guys know how to grow bamboo just about anywhere. I picked up a few tricks.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I don't baby plants, so its probably a good thing it can't grow in zone 5. So I'm not tempted to try.
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

lkz5ia wrote:I don't baby plants, so its probably a good thing it can't grow in zone 5. So I'm not tempted to try.
well, I guess it is unfortunate to live in Z5? You sound rather bitter about it.
I am not trying to agrivate you. I think you would be happier in a Z7b or 8a? right?

Anyway, I'll document my bamboo and tell you how the tips from the takehei people are working.
Who knows..
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

ha, no. Iowa fits me good. Enough wide open space to dance in the moonlight. Will bamboo grow satifactory here, I don't know. I always have a backup plan. Wasn't it thuja who said if the bamboo didn't work out, he would start collecting the salix genus. Well, I know alot of those can grow here. I added the cricketbat willow to my collection just this year. What a beauty.
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Lance, there are variegated corn stalks now available as well. :lol:
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Lance, I started a couple species of willow cuttings this summer, so we'll have to start trading and get our collections going. I have Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa' and Salix purpurata 'Nana' so far. Forest Farm sells lots of varieties, kind of pricey but I don't know where else you can find that many. I mainly need to collect the smaller varieties since space here is finite.

As for the Moso seedling leaf spots above, I went thru that problem too a couple years ago. It seemed to help to use distilled or RO (reverse osmosis) filtered water. I had leaf spots regardless of soil pH. Growing outdoors definitely helps with lots of fresh air circulation, sunlight, and rain. Some seedlings do better than others.
--Mike