Pics and such

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Steve in France
Location info: 0

Pics and such

Post by Steve in France »

This is a post I made on UKOasis, perhaps I will have more luck with an ID for the unknown Ph. Nigra form here.
Pica are not great but you will get the idea.
Shanghai 3 was a single 5 ft culm last Spring.
Pic of the leaf heavy Shanghai 3,great expectations for the Spring
www.pbase.com/theukoasis/image/34329844
Mystery Nigra form pic of culm with the Black Sulcus plus the Fulva like tawny culm .Any ideas?
www.pbase.com/theukoasis/image/34518821
Unimportant to most pic of Ganzu 2 seedling just to show a little of pink/red colour from the parent plant even at this early stage, this is one of the more marked plants many of the others are greener on the culms.
www.pbase.com/theukoasis/image/34528378
Later
Steve
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Steve: great pictures ...I know there has been alot of talk about Shanghai3- since I have never seen it in person, I believe it is a "mirage".
A figment of everyone's imagination. To dispel this theory of mine, please send me a small culm with rhizome and then I will believe in the Shanghai3 :wink: :wink: Please, pretty please 8)

Also, how old is the Ganzu2 seedling and where did you get the seeds from :?:

Thanks.... Koniferkid
Steve in France

I'd be happy too

I'd be happy to send a Shanghai 3 rhizome but as you know I cannot send it too the US without getting into major trouble, I guess all will need to wait for Brad to get it and propagate it.
The Ganzu 2 seeds came from Markj's garden , we were having lunch outside and he started stripping seeds off a very small bamboo and saying take these and see what happens, I guess the original plant must have come from Mike Bell.There age at the moment is about 5 months, amazing variation in growth some are tiny and weak ,some are two or three times the size of the one in the pic, I'm trying to keep the weaker ones going as they may turn into the most interesting plants.Colour variation is huge too, it's nice to have a collection of seedlings which grow in only one garden in the world, mine :D .They are all unique plants some will be not much different from your average Nitida but some will be stars I'm sure.
Later
Steve
Steve in France

Please follow thw link

This is a link to a European Bamboo site with pics of Phyllostachys nigra 'Megurochiku' .It matches my unknow nigra in some ways but does not look like the US pics with green culms I have seen ,also when I've asked in the past US based growers say Phyllostachys nigra 'Megurochiku' is green culmed with Black sulcus.My nigra with the black sulcus is tawny coloured from the start.Is it that we don't have the true Phyllostachys nigra 'Megurochiku' here or that we had some other clone that pre-dates the present correct clone now sold as 'Megurochiku' .
http://bambooweb.online.fr/html/nn/pfla ... ndex_e.htm
Thanks
Later
Steve
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Steve, looks like you have a really nice place there. Great bamboo and the stonework in the background looks mighty fine. It seems like you have all sorts of microclimatic areas nearby those walls.
--Mike
Steve in France

Well

We live near the quarry that all the stone for Paris came from so it's the same stone here, the Castle wall looking bit across the street is the entrance to an old Abby, the area in National Monument so we never need worry about buildings in front wrecking our view.
http://www.pbase.com/theukoasis/image/52089819
We were lucky to find this place at the price, but it had no water ,no sewer, no Electricity, in short nothing, I've put all the services in and am doing all the renovation work myself as we have no money to pay for it being done.I've been so lucky getting to know the UKOasis people I have recieved so many great free plants from them, I'm now at the point of being able to give plants away myself to others. We should have some spare cash next year to expand the collection here and I'm visiting Jos with a large shopping list on Saturday.Once I solve the small problem of wind here with fences and Bamboos I should have great growing conditions.I'm looking for the perfect bamboos to grow against the South facing Barn wall, it gets very hot along there in the summer, perhaps a Ph Bambusoides of some type would be good.I keep thinking about vivax aureocaulis but ihave two types in the garden already, I think I need to consult Mike Bell to ask if there is one of the new clumpers that will get near timber size and have great colour.
It's a great problem to have , a new garden with everything to do and some very interesting micro climates to consider :D
Later
Steve