Winterizing a container

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Diane
Location info: 0

Winterizing a container

Post by Diane »

I have red margin bamboo I planted this summer in a container 2x6’
It was 2x 3 gallon plants when I bought them. The container is 2x4’s with a barrier inside (open at the bottom, raised on blocks)
I don’t have anywhere to move it in a garage for the winter.
In central Jersey, zone 6b/7

Will it be ok this winter? I have insulated bubble wrap I could wrap around the container and thinking of wrapping burlap around the whole plant Tightly to keep it still from the winds.
Here’s a pic of it, there’s no protection from winds as it’s in middle of a yard.
Attachments
F5FC4609-A4BE-47BF-B563-B07437051527.jpeg
dependable

Re: Winterizing a container

Post by dependable »

I've successfully overwintered containerized bamboo by laying down and covering with tarp for the worst part of winter.

Two key things to avoid are wind desiccation when the plant has no means to transport water to leaves, and freeze thaw cycles in roots if they are in too much water. If container becomes a block of ice, plant will also die.
Diane

Post by Diane »

When would you stop watering to avoid that?
And when do you take off tarp? Would you wait until official spring, or just until harsh weather passes?
dependable

Post by dependable »

If your container has good drainage, be sure soil is moist right up until hard freeze. Bamboo does not need to be covered until then either. You don't have to wait until official spring, you can even un tarp if there is a mild spell, but it is easy to get caught out and frozen.

P rubromarginata should be hardy enough for where you are, it is having it in the container that puts it at risk of freeze kill in winter.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi, bringing this subject up Again. I was wondering if it’s a better idea to just pull the bamboo out of the container and digging it in a spare place in the ground over the winter and then I won’t have to worry about winterizing the container.
What do you think?
If i did do this, what time is the best to do it?