Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Post by Deane »

Phyllostachys nigra var. aureo variegata ,I have just bought this new and rare bamboo but can't find much info which would make sense if it's so new ,any of you bamboo lovers know any info ,does the bamboo have to be registered with a bamboo Society before it's recognised . This is not where I bought mine but was most of the info I could find http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Phyllos ... 19364.html?
Attachments
image.jpeg
Deane

Re: Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Post by Deane »

Pic
Attachments
image.jpeg
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Are you sure it's a Phyllostachys? Is there a groove in the largest culm?

john - +24c and parched
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Deane

Post by Deane »

I will check on plant when it arrives and up date
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Very interesting stuff. Not sure about it either but if it's a true verigated nigra then that's really spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

Curious, how much did it cost?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I couldn't resist and ordered one from England.

Let's hope it really is the one as described in Bamboos of the world.

[edit]
The yellowish-variegation has me a bit worried. Could it simply be Pleioblastus viridistriatus being sold as something else? (I haven't seen a picture of a plant with a more develped culm AND the variegated leaves, only tiny plants)
Some of the pictures of the nigra variegata show oral setae which I think would speak against Pleiobastus.

I've had a look in Bamboos of the World to see if I could find a match

Phyllostachys nigra 'Flavescens' - yellow internodes with a green sulcus and leaves striped in white or yellow.
Phyllostachys nigra 'Okina' - leaves with white stripes and dots, culms assumed to be black.

Are we maybe looking at a new mutation here?
[/edit]
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

at the last west coast bamboo auction up here in Northern California Bamboo Garden had a variegated Nigra they auctioned off. I can not remember the name but i sure wanted it
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

I believe that Bamboo Garden has it on their website.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Nicholas wrote:I couldn't resist and ordered one from England.

The yellowish-variegation has me a bit worried. Could it simply be Pleioblastus viridistriatus being sold as something else? (I haven't seen a picture of a plant with a more develped culm AND the variegated leaves, only tiny plants)[/edit]
That was my fear as well.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Deane

Post by Deane »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:Very interesting stuff. Not sure about it either but if it's a true verigated nigra then that's really spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

Curious, how much did it cost?
£13.50 inc P&P :D
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

John,

The cost, including shipment, was not exorbitant and since my only variegated boos are pleiobastus fortunei and hibanobambusa tranquillans 'shiroshima' (excluding the bicolor which has quite a few white stripes in the leaves but is doing really poorly here atm.) I was more than happy to take the risk.

Another issue that may come up is that these plants don't have enough rhizome mass and could effectively be living sticks. Judging from the size however they look like tissue culture.

Since nigra var. nigra is so common in cultivation I would not be surprised if the variegation showed up in a nursery as a mutation and they immediately realized the potential and had it tissue cultured.

We will know a bit more in a few days when the plant arrives. It is only a 9cm pot so I'm expecting a sad little boo with a few culms.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Nicholas wrote:I couldn't resist and ordered one from England.

Let's hope it really is the one as described in Bamboos of the world.

[edit]
The yellowish-variegation has me a bit worried. Could it simply be Pleioblastus viridistriatus being sold as something else? (I haven't seen a picture of a plant with a more develped culm AND the variegated leaves, only tiny plants)
Some of the pictures of the nigra variegata show oral setae which I think would speak against Pleiobastus.

I've had a look in Bamboos of the World to see if I could find a match

Phyllostachys nigra 'Flavescens' - yellow internodes with a green sulcus and leaves striped in white or yellow.
Phyllostachys nigra 'Okina' - leaves with white stripes and dots, culms assumed to be black.

Are we maybe looking at a new mutation here?
[/edit]
It seems it is new from 2016 and only 2 year old plants for sale , my worry is that it's just a standard P nigra with some sort of Element deficiency causing the leafs to do that ,the grower I have bought from eden exotics has been really good in past so I will see
needmore

Post by needmore »

O.K., the plant is at Bamboo Garden but Jos has the photo on his website. Scroll down to Phy nigra Kyoshi. It seems quite interesting, variegated leaves and some yellow/green culms on a nigra form.

http://www.kimmei.com/ecatalogus.html

The photo here looks like Shiroshima?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

needmore wrote:O.K., the plant is at Bamboo Garden but Jos has the photo on his website. Scroll down to Phy nigra Kyoshi. It seems quite interesting, variegated leaves and some yellow/green culms on a nigra form.

http://www.kimmei.com/ecatalogus.html
I'd say that 'Kyoshi' has more in common with Phyllostachys nigra 'Flavescens' as described in bamboos of the world than this variegated form
needmore wrote:The photo here looks like Shiroshima?
You know what, I was going to say my Shiroshima looks quite different but it is a more mature plant. There are quite a few similarities.
It would be a real bummer if it turns out that this is plain old shiroshima.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

[quote="needmore"]O.K., the plant is at Bamboo Garden but Jos has the photo on his website. Scroll down to Phy nigra Kyoshi. It seems quite interesting, variegated leaves and some yellow/green culms on a nigra form.
yes thats it . Jim at Bamboo garden sent me a pic of there planting yes it was a very neat looking bamboo
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country