Bamboo Cultivation Questions

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

voyager
Location info: 0

Bamboo Cultivation Questions

Post by voyager »

We live in Leilani Estates and survived relatively unscathed by the eruption last year.
I am in the process of restoring the damage to our vegetation and getting back to making the improvements that were put on hold for the duration of that eruption.
I have plotted on planting some larger bamboo species on our acre lot here for quite a while now.

One of my plans has been to plant some of the large clumping bamboos, various Gigantochloa species, especially some of the black or pink types.
I'm now thinking that the Monastary Bamboo [Thyrsostachys siamensis] might be a better choice for my intentions.

Our rainfall here is rated at 150"/yr.
I can irrigate during the dry periods.
Water should not be a limiting factor.

I have a number of questions about the choices and cultivation of the bamboos to grow here.

Question #1:
In order to obtain the fastest developing to maturity plantings, I assume that culms dug from an existing planting would develop more quickly than plants from 1, 2 or 5 gal pots, correct?
What amount of time would be needed for the planting to reach maturity?

Question #2:
I've just learned that the root system can run as deep as 3' or more.
That's a lot of digging, especially if in rocky soil.
Are there ways to get around having to dig that deep for a good healthy fast developing start from an existing planting?

Question #3:
Our lot is on a 250 year old lava flow.
the unripped surface is fairly uneven and has a relatively thin soil covering over the lava rock.
How much of a soil covering would I need to produce poles in the 20' or more range?

Question #4:
Would a $600 to $700 Home Depot type 3" wood chipper be robust enough to turn the resulting bamboo poles into mulch?
-----------------------
That's all the questions I have for now.
They will help me decide if planting the types I want will be feasible.
Obviously, I know very little about bamboo.
dependable

Re: Bamboo Cultivation Questions

Post by dependable »

I can't answer most of your questions, as I am in very different climate, someone else will be able to help with more local specifics. But here goes:

The larger divisions will take less time get going than small pots, assuming they are transplanted well and watered.

Most people have had good luck mounding compost and planting into it where digging is too difficult.

Homeowner type chipper will not do a good job shredding bamboo culms.
Glen

Re: Bamboo Cultivation Questions

Post by Glen »

Voyager,

As I started to attempt to answer your questions, I realized that I probably do not have the knowledge to answer these questions thoroughly for your fairly unique situation.

I highly recommend that you contact Quindembo Bamboo Nursery, which is located near you. They should have enough experience to help you avoid wasted time, effort and money.