Air-pot for bamboo

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Air-pot for bamboo

Post by Deane »

I have heard many positive things about these pots,but would they work for bamboos https://youtu.be/NWMHMg--wiE http://air-pot.com/garden/
UPBooMatt

Re: Air-pot for bamboo

Post by UPBooMatt »

I didn't watch the video, but if they are the same air pots I've seen for sale I'd think you'd end up having to water a bamboo CONSTANTLY, especially during warm weather. Not to mention you would probably eventually end up with a pin cushion of rhizomes poking and running out everywhere. I suppose that would make planting out easy...lol, just drop it in the hole pot and all. It would grow through the holes and destroy the pot itself I bet. (Or be choked by it.)
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks for your input Matt , this Air-pot is different from others, I was not thinking long term use for bamboos but maybe benefit growing on divisions
BamBuddha

Post by BamBuddha »

I think you would be better off with the smart pot (fabric pot) price wise. I read in one review that since the air pot is narrow growing larger plants like bamboo are more likely to tip over. Both of these pots have the same benefit of providing a breathable container which provides better root growth along with good drainage however the drawback being you will have to water more or keep it on a drip system. If you are using it for propagation why not try building a raised garden bed for the mother plants? Something that will allow nature to help the soil stay moist (microbs /earthworms ect) and has a wicking system or drip system. Just a thought
Mike, Jax Florida Zone 9a
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I used fabric pots here, they do work well but man it is a booger to try and unpot them when the time comes, the bamboo roots bond with them. I worked and worked mine off pulling them inside out to save the pot but after a couple I sliced away and gave up reusing them.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

needmore wrote:I used fabric pots here, they do work well but man it is a booger to try and unpot them when the time comes, the bamboo roots bond with them. I worked and worked mine off pulling them inside out to save the pot but after a couple I sliced away and gave up reusing them.
That’s one of the advantages of this air-pot, you just undo the two clips and pot unravels, I think I might have to put one to the test, did you find that you get a better root Systemwith the fabric pots brad?
needmore

Post by needmore »

I can't say there was better root growth but I was not paying attention to that. I used them to try and keep the roots cooler and I tried to use the tan ones but could not always find tan in the size I wanted; I did find a website that has tan up to 1,000 gallon later on but I was uppotted as large as I could handle by then.

When I container grow my goal is to get the bamboo big quickly so I use large pots, feed and water diligently. I also try to source the largest plants I can find/afford, I'll put a full 5 gallon potted new bamboo into a squat 20-30 gallon and it will fill that pot in a season, by the end of year 2 they have to leave those big pots. That strategy killed my montane forms but works with Phyllostachys & Bambusoides. Toward my goal I think next time I would use the very large modular plastic boxes such as Allen in TX (Boonut) uses. They are costly but you can take each side off and that would surely make planting much easier and less stressful for the plants.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

needmore wrote:... that would surely make planting much easier and less stressful for the plants.
Yes for the plants, but if you don't have power equipment then you're going to have a *really* hard time moving those huge, heavy rootballs into place. I've done it four times now and it was never fun! :)
needmore

Post by needmore »

My last move I had two trips with a 14' truck, 60 or so pots in the 20-45 gallon range, heavy dudes, some 12-18 feet tall. I bought a two wheeled dolly with a 'shelf' that flipped down - made the project doable, just a bit of tilt to get them on there. The hard part was a couple I could barely tilt the dolly backward to get moving. Great buy though it moves large rocks as well save for the two 500lbs ones I had to get all engineered on to move.