I think my new Dwarf Buddha Belly is dying... any tips?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Bamboonewbie
Location info: 0

I think my new Dwarf Buddha Belly is dying... any tips?

Post by Bamboonewbie »

This is my first time doing anything related to gardening. I recently planted a dwarf Buddha Belly that was in a 25 gallon container. It was very healthy looking in the container. I plant it and less than 2 days later it was getting very yellow. I thought I might have under watered it and have been making sure the soil is always moist. I live in Hawaii.

I think the yellowing has slowed down, but now a few branches look white or dead. I planted the bamboo in a mix of miracle grow all purpose garden soil and the soil in my backyard. I have not added fertilizer yet because I want to confirm what the issue was first.

Any tips for novice on how to get my plant healthy?

Here is a link to a video of the plant in question.

https://youtu.be/_-7GwoRZolY
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: I think my new Dwarf Buddha Belly is dying... any tips?

Post by needmore »

Greetings, it sounds like it may have been allowed to get too dry, even once will cause the leaves to drop. Same species for me (assuming yours is B ventricosa) dropped all leaves on two plants when I dug them up and potted them, I know they did not get too dry they really seemed to hate being messed with. I just kept them fed and watered, now they are fine.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Glen

Post by Glen »

I am pretty sure your plant is Bambusa vulgaris 'Wamin', and I agree completely with Brad about the problem. Maintain consistent moisture, and it should recover.

It is fine, and probably helpful, to fertilize. Almost any high nitrogen fertilizer will work.
Bamboonewbie

Post by Bamboonewbie »

Thank you. It is Wamin. It isn’t doing any worse. Hopefully, it will slowly recover. I think putting it in the ground was just stressful.

Thanks again. It was an expensive plant and I was worried I was doing something wrong. It went from a very healthy looking plant to yellow in less than 48 hours.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Since you said you're new to gardening, I'll add to Glen's advice to not overdo it with the fertilizer & follow instructions on container. A little too little is better than a little too much. Osmocote is a safe way to fertilize potted plants, esp those not meant for consumption.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

For clarity, I'd use some form of manure rather than manufactured fertilizer, it will help to attract those giant Hawaiian snakes :wink: to the area and they'll be helpful.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com