Phyllostachys edulis ‘mixta’

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys edulis ‘mixta’

Post by Deane »

Pleased to see edulis ‘mixta’ shooting, I am going to plant this one in my greenhouse for the first few years of its life, does anyone know how long it’s takes from juvenile to adult for edulis
Attachments
9713395E-7D5D-4ED3-BFF9-607A5829C4B8.jpeg
CC83957E-8C6E-4919-9FCD-4D44F596A4FF.jpeg
2534CEF7-CD74-4FB2-98D2-D9170802E105.jpeg
Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Phyllostachys edulis ‘mixta’

Post by Tarzanus »

Depends on your location, warmth during summer and cold during winter. Most of the UK lacks the heat during the summer, so Moso struggles to grow larger. Eventually it does, because your winters are also not that cold.

I would estimate around 5 to 7 years for an established bamboo. Up to 10 years for a fully grown bamboo grove.

I live in strange mix of climates, here in Central Europe and my Moso seedling freezes a lot during the winter, suffers during the summer heat and has issues with voles, moles and regular extensive rhizome pruning. In its 5 years of existence, bamboo managed to grow quite a lot, but it's still far from adult stage. I hoped for a nice upsize this year, but we've had brutal winter which took out all of the 2017 culms and severely fried all the other growth. I decided to remove the burnt culms that were mostly all up-rooted anyway. I need to take care of the voles - somehow. My dogs can't get them from beneath the bamboo.