Bamboo thermal images

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mshaffer
Location info: 0

Bamboo thermal images

Post by mshaffer »

I took some pictures of my Moso with a thermal camera. Kind of neat to actually see what the temperature is. The white blob in the first image is the Moso grove.
Attachments
thermal1.JPG
thermal3.JPG
thermal2.JPG
mshaffer

Re: Bamboo thermal images

Post by mshaffer »

It looks like in the third image, the bamboo is cooling off from the ground up.
dependable

Post by dependable »

That looks cool. I see the temperature ranges, don't really understand, as higher is blue, middle red, cooler green, or maybe am reading it wrong. The temp range though the photo area is about 20 degrees, or is that over time also?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

The left edge of the image shows the temperature range and how it corresponds to colors. Took me a little while to notice that. :)
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

dependable wrote:That looks cool. I see the temperature ranges, don't really understand, as higher is blue, middle red, cooler green, or maybe am reading it wrong. The temp range though the photo area is about 20 degrees, or is that over time also?
No it's just a snap shot like a normal photo but it's of thermal infrared band.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

So, I guess this is sun exposed bamboo. Leaves and culms collect the sun light and warm up much faster than the surrounding air and cold ground. If you take a photo of trees, you you get the same result or is bamboo much warmer?

I have a grove that is exposed to sun from the south. It blocks most if not all the wind from the nothern side and somehow attracts warmth from the south. It gets quite warm in that spot during the winter and spring. In the summer, the northern side is way cooler and, darker. :)
Well, it's much cooler now in the winter as well. It's warm and cozy everywhere except in there, there's a pond in the everlasting shade of Phyllostachys aureosulcata grove and it's frozen. Nothing else is frozen around here! We have 10°C plus temperatures.