How to control/maintain Giant Timber

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Gerryo619
Location info: 0

How to control/maintain Giant Timber

Post by Gerryo619 »

Hello,
I have an approx 5 year old Giant Timber in my backyard that is approx 30 feet tall with culms about as wide as a beer can. The plant is absolutely beautiful. I don't mind it growing a little bigger/taller but I know in the near future I will have to start reducing the amount culms each year in order to keep overall size in check. My question is: In order to do this, should I simply cut out the oldest culms and let them be replaced by the new shoots that grow each summer? And should I cut out the same number of old ones as the number of new ones? Also, other than cutting out old culm with a reciprocating saw as low as possible to dirt, is there a "better" way to do this?. The problem I have with that technique is that there will always be that "stump" left behind where old culm was cut off. Assuming over years of doing this, most of the "floor" of the plant will be full of old culms. Will this hinder new growth in that area in future seasons? Any insight on other people's techniques on how to control Giant Timber species will be GREATLY appreciated! =)
dependable

Re: How to control/maintain Giant Timber

Post by dependable »

"Giant timber" could be a few different types, more of a description than identification. In your location, it could be a big clumping bamboo or a runner.

If you post some good pictures of what you have, hopefully someone can ID it for you.

The sawzall, just above a node, is probably one of the best ways to cut out large, older bamboo culms.
Gerryo619

Re: How to control/maintain Giant Timber

Post by Gerryo619 »

dependable wrote:"Giant timber" could be a few different types, more of a description than identification. In your location, it could be a big clumping bamboo or a runner.

If you post some good pictures of what you have, hopefully someone can ID it for you.

The sawzall, just above a node, is probably one of the best ways to cut out large, older bamboo culms.

Thanks for response. I have Bambusa Oldhamii. I know the whole sawzall is the popular route and I can see why. Only problem I can see is all the leftover stumps after years of cutting old culms :?