What are consequences of insufficient light

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

grabhorn
Location info: 0

What are consequences of insufficient light

Post by grabhorn »

Because I live in a small (~1.5-acre) clearing surrounded by tall conifers, I have only so many sunny spots for bamboos. As a result, I have planted some in places where they get less light than they might like. What should I expect and not expect from those plants - smaller size, fewer shoots, less aggressive running? Or is it worse than that; might they lose health and eventually die? Where I can, I've tried to match the location to the light needs of the plant as best I can.

One example: Is there any hope for a Ph. aureosulcata 'Lama Temple' in a very shaded location? I'd hoped the bright culms might light the space up a bit, but if it never gets big enough to do that, there's no point in having it there.

Many thanks.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: What are consequences of insufficient light

Post by needmore »

My guess based on a few heavy shade grown Phy's is that they will be fine but smaller and may produce more shoots than otherwise.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
dependable

Post by dependable »

I agree that growth will be slowed by partial shade. It seems to me around here the culms will upsize fairly quickly in the shade, while fewer of them. This is a "strategy" to reach though canopy to light.

This is true for my P aureosulcata and P a alata groves under partial canopy of mature oaks and pitch pines. If growing in shade, try to have all the other conditions be optimal, plenty of water and compost/fertilizer.
grabhorn

Post by grabhorn »

Thank you both. Is it my imagination, or are your responses opposite one another? In both cases you're saying the plant should be fine, so I'm content with that. Thanks again.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I think we are saying the opposite as well! I've grown the same species in different light conditions and what I observed in the shadier sites were shorter, thinner diameter culms, perhaps more of them but it did seem to spread still perhaps looking for light. So my overall impression was that the groves seemed to fire more buds - probably less mature ones that produce smaller growth, and produce more foliage overall.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
dependable

Post by dependable »

One of the reasons bamboo is so successful as a type of plant is its ability to adapt to different conditions. I am confidant that both observations are correct, depending on growing conditions, location, soil fertility, etc.

A couple of file photos. The stand by the trash bin is P aureosulcata, planted as a cluster of fairly mature culms around 1997. Picture shown in spring 2016. This stand never made smaller culms, it has always put up large culms in small numbers.

The other picture is also from 2016, it shows P vivax aureocaulis under the oak trees. This was a planting of #25 potted bamboo that was a around 12-16 feet in height. That was around 2006, these plants have only up sized, very slowly.

If you noticed a small bamboo in the foreground, it is S yashadake K
Attachments
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
Glen

Post by Glen »

In Texas, I have found that all bamboos are easier to establish in shade. Summer heat and drought stress is reduced in shady conditions.

Running bamboos in particular are stressed by any afternoon sun during the summer. They tend to run toward shady areas, and the shoots tend to get larger and taller once they are under a tree canopy. They also tend to be more arborescent, with fewer lower branches and wider spaces between culms, under these conditions.

I should note that the shade with which I have experience is mostly produced by deciduous trees. Since the winters are mild here, the bamboos are able to grow and photosynthesize under fairly bright conditions during the cool months when the trees have no leaves. The shade is greatest during the warmest months, when the bamboos need it most.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Here in Central Europe, it is the opposite. The shaded part of the clump remains with 0 shoots and all my bamboos drive into the southern direction. Travels towards East and west as well, but it never seems to go really far into the self-shaded area. Deciduous trees are helpful to keep leaves nice and green during the summer for all the bamboos that like a bit cooler climate like Fargesia and Borinda. Moso likes a tiny bit of shade as well, but it seems to prefer full sun when it gets established. Some leaves can get weather worn if there's a drought or very hot.

Consequences of insufficient light are slower growth, longer internodes and in the end taller culms with less branches and a lot less leaves. They are not nearly as vigorous as the sun exposed bamboos, but they can grow just as big, but will need more time. Overall height could be different, I'm not sure about that one, but I would expect max culm diameter to be slightly smaller on the shaded bamboos.