Fertilizer

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

wolfedg
Location info: 0

Fertilizer

Post by wolfedg »

I went to the local box store looking for time release fertilizers and ended up buying Osmocote 15-9-12. Will this be good for my bamboo and if so how best to apply it.. Should i try to put it under the mulch or just sprinkle it over the top. How much should I apply? The 2 lb container I bought says it covers 75sqft and the area the bamboo is in is 18ftx18ft. Though the main plant (aside from 2 summers of unknown rhizome growth is in a 3ft circle where the mulch is. Should I fertilize the whole area or just the mulched area?

Hope thats not too many questions but thanks you in advance for your help.
P.S. The Vivax seems to have pulled thru the winter very well so far with only about 25% leaf loss(partly my fault for covering it for too long.) Being as were almost to March I think it is unlikely we will get into the dangerous temps any more this winter though I could be wrong.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Tarzanus

Re: Fertilizer

Post by Tarzanus »

You should place fertilizer as far as it has grown rhizomes and roots. For now, you can do it over the mulched area and add some new mulch (and fertilizer) in the direction you want it to travel. The more nutrients the bamboo finds, the more rhizomes it will push into that direction. I sprinkle it over the mulch, fertilizer gets washed into the mulch by itself later on anyway. How much...? I usually don't give my bamboos a lot, I just sprinkle. If I mulch heavily or if there's a pile of leaf litter under the boo, I use a bit more, it helps to decompose organic matter.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I've not used Osmocote or any other time-release fertilizers on my bamboos. I go with Milorganite applied a few times a year. It's more forgiving about how much you use, and I usually put quite a bit on each plant. The thing about time-release fertilizers that use the plasticized pellets is that the release rate depends on temperature and moisture. So even though it says "feeds up to X months" it may not really last that long.
DanielMullaly
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by DanielMullaly »

Osmocote is a fine fertilizer. We've used it extensively in the past and have recommended it to hundreds of customers. Under or over the mulch won't make much of a difference, it will find its way down.

I would fertilize the areas you would like to see more improvement, you can also just spread it evenly. A little is better than nothing at all, you can always add some more later.
Daniel Mullaly
Lewis Bamboo, Inc.
lewisbamboo.com