NEED HELP WITH MOLD

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Ren_Kagome
Location info: 0

NEED HELP WITH MOLD

Post by Ren_Kagome »

Greetings, fellow bamboo growers. Recently, I planted about 80 seeds of bamboo. Now the problem with it is that there's some mold starting to grow on the soil where the seeds are and it's making me worry. My question is simple: How do I get rid of the mold.

Thanks in advance!
Tarzanus

Re: NEED HELP WITH MOLD

Post by Tarzanus »

I sometimes microwaved the soil to get rid of all the living creatures inside and sterilize it. I stopped doing that and now I just make sure I keep soil moist and not overly wet. The second thing that you need to take care of is airflow. Keep the air moving around your pots. Use some kind of ventilation if you keep them cornered somewhere with no air movement.
Ren_Kagome

Post by Ren_Kagome »

Thanx for the Help Tarzanus!
Yeah I just realized that there's no ventilation. I'm keeping them in a small mini greenhouse.
Ohh and one more thing: Today I woke up, checked my seeds and saw that one of them is starting to germinate! I'm so happy about it!
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

We have grown thousands of seedling bamboos and they're always started in cell flats covered with a tall dome or for single pots in a plastic bag, all under fluorescents. Hardening them off once they have 5-6 leaves is the tricky bit.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Ren_Kagome

Post by Ren_Kagome »

johnw wrote:We have grown thousands of seedling bamboos and they're always started in cell flats covered with a tall dome or for single pots in a plastic bag, all under fluorescents. Hardening them off once they have 5-6 leaves is the tricky bit.

john
What do you mean by "hardening them off"? I've never heard of it
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

He germinated them covered and then, when they were large enough (6 leaves), he uncovered them. Seedlings needed to acclimatise to much drier air and changed growing conditions.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

re: hardening off

And exposure to full air - i.e. no dome over top - must be done very, very, very slowly. We are lucky as we do this in May when our weather is misty and extremely foggy. We move them to full shade for 2 weeks and then to full light while the mists and fog are still about. Shade cloth if the sun comes out the first 2 weeks after that 2nd move.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Ren_Kagome

Post by Ren_Kagome »

johnw wrote:re: hardening off

And exposure to full air - i.e. no dome over top - must be done very, very, very slowly. We are lucky as we do this in May when our weather is misty and extremely foggy. We move them to full shade for 2 weeks and then to full light while the mists and fog are still about. Shade cloth if the sun comes out the first 2 weeks after that 2nd move.

john
I see. Just Googled this "hardening off" thing aswell and yeah, I guess that's one big thing that I got to know by you guys here.
I also have a question about seperating the plants from each other. When should that be done? I heard that the right time is when they have a small leaf but I'm not sure about it.