Phyllostachys nigra Megurochiku cold tolerance

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Cooper12
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Phyllostachys nigra Megurochiku cold tolerance

Post by Cooper12 »

after a week of temps in the 20's for lows and 2 of those days only getting to the mid 30's for highs my
25 gallon tub of Megurochiku burned back about 40% of the way with brown crispy leaves and some curling .
My Nigra varieties in the ground no issue. It appears the bucket froze at least the plant was well irrigated before the soil froze .
Not sure if anyone else has had this happen with any nigra varieties in temps this mild. Most my Borinda had leaf curl and loss of foliage but generally i have no issues with Phyllostachys .
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mountainbamboonut

Re: Phyllostachys nigra Megurochiku cold tolerance

Post by mountainbamboonut »

Living in a colder area than you above Nevada City and my neighbor has had Meguro the ground there for over ten years. It is super cold hardy here and looks better than most when it is chilly. Mine did great there for the 3 seasons I had it but none of it was in pots it was all in-ground.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I was surprised to, I am at 3000 ft and my microclimate is colder than others at similar elevations around here. It is definitely freeze damage as well so I am surprised. It was in a shorter pot with less dirt and though we had so it did not really stick at all to insulate the soil from freezing. Bamboo living up in Grass Valley in the past I'm a similar elevation to Cascade Shores and a similar climate to there . We both share the same 8b zone as well. Though to me the amount of freezing nights we get is probably more than many other areas
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

i went and planted it . i am sure it will re leaf in spring
it turned bronze after the first low 20's a few weeks back. then burned after this one
Attachments
IMG_9539.JPG
IMG_9540.JPG
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
tomgun

Post by tomgun »

Up there in the Fort Jim area, my Megurochiku did the best and got the largest of all except for the Sweetshoot, which is meant to be thicker (but shorter (and not so straight)).
To locals: If there is something in the Trade column of my plant list you want a start for, I root-prune every so often to control the bamboo in my limited space. You are welcome to any starts for free, no trading. Let me know and come get it if it's available. Pick up only.
tomgun

Post by tomgun »

And I'll be taking out big chunks of Sweetshoot, Ph. Dulcis, wandering rhizomes any time if you're interested.
To locals: If there is something in the Trade column of my plant list you want a start for, I root-prune every so often to control the bamboo in my limited space. You are welcome to any starts for free, no trading. Let me know and come get it if it's available. Pick up only.
fatpaw

Post by fatpaw »

hello,
mine here in ohio for the second year of growing is about 12 feet tall and we had two days in a row that it got down to 4 degrees and mine is still looking good, it is in the ground!