Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Karli
Location info: 0

Which species can I grow?

Post by Karli »

Hello bamboos lovers! :D

I'm Carlo and I'm new on this forum!

I've discovered how AMAZING bamboos are just (unfortunately for me) one year ago and since then I got more interested about them and, as it follows, I want to grow them. My first and only attempt was growing Phyllostachys edulis from seeds, which germinated and grew pretty well until my nephew decided to add bleach on the pot, just to clean it up -.-

Now, here the problem: I don't absolutely know what I can/cannot grow in my climate :oops:

My yard is on the west coast of Sardinia Island (Italy), Mediterranean maritime climate 9b/10a (generally the temp. never goes below 0 Celsius/ 32 F). I have a deep alluvial soil.

I did have a look on some bamboo genera and I've found many interesting ones, e.g. Bambusa oldhamii, B. iako, B. textilis, Borinda papyrifera, some Fargesia and Dendrocalamus too, but don't know if they can suit my weather. I'm not really into runners..

Any suggestion will be more than welcome :D
Tarzanus

Re: Which species can I grow?

Post by Tarzanus »

Zone 9 or even 10 is a bit to hot for Fargesia bamboos. Borinda also needs cooler temperatures and doesn't really thrive in hot places. You could perhaps check for a south american clumping bamboos. You could easily grow most if not all Bambusa bamboos, including the large ones. They can look really majestic with some thinning out from time to time.

Runners, like Phyllostachys edulis, fir example, would also thrive there, but would most likely enjoy too much, and spread viciously. If you keep them confined and take care of old and broken culms occasionally, it could be a pretty nice bamboo.
Karli

Post by Karli »

Dober dan! Thank you for your tips! I didn't know Farfesia would suffer in warm climate :/ But actually not that sad knowing I can potentially grow Bambusa species.

Now the question is: is there any plant nursery in which I can buy valid seeds/bare root plants/ seedlings of "tender" bamboos without necessary have to sell one lung of mine?

In Portugal there is one but they don't make delivery :cry:
Deane

Post by Deane »

PLANFOR in France sell small bamboos and post ,there very good and I have used them many times http://www.planfor.co.uk//index.php?act ... &langue=EN
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Deane wrote:PLANFOR in France sell small bamboos and post ,there very good and I have used them many times http://www.planfor.co.uk//index.php?act ... &langue=EN
Looks like a nice selection of temperate bamboo they have but for cold climate growers ignore their hardiness ratings as they are well overstated.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
needmore

Post by needmore »

Karli wrote:Dober dan! Thank you for your tips! I didn't know Farfesia would suffer in warm climate :/ But actually not that sad knowing I can potentially grow Bambusa species.

Now the question is: is there any plant nursery in which I can buy valid seeds/bare root plants/ seedlings of "tender" bamboos without necessary have to sell one lung of mine?

In Portugal there is one but they don't make delivery :cry:

You will not find very much bamboo seed as bamboo rarely flowers and sets seed so availability by species is quite limited. Therefore you'll have to consider disposition of a lung or some other organ. Since this is true it would perhaps be good for you to examine all of the Bambusa species and see if one really appeals to you the most, then find that one.

You've only got one spare lung so make it count!
Karli

Post by Karli »

Thank you all guys for your tips!

I've checked that french website but they only have one Bambusa specie (multiplex "Alphons Karr"), nice but not exactly what I was looking for (and it does cost 60 euros) :roll: I was thinking of something more "tropical looking" :lol: Well, at least I can give a try to a Fargesia papyrifera they sell for 12 euros so, for now my lung is gonna stay in place. 1 Carlo - 0 Bamboos

I use to grow palms and, sometimes, find some species is quite tricky, but I probably have to reconsider the scale of trickiness comparing with bamboos :mrgreen:

Of course my question is far to be closed ( I hope :lol: ) so, if there is anyone that can help me finding tender bamboos sellers in Europe, I will be glade to give him/her a tiny part of one of my lungs (the rest would be already gone in exchange for a beauty to display in my garden)
needmore

Post by needmore »

I think if you post on the French bamboo forum you will have good replies, Philippe Smets in Rome has a fantastic collection of bamboo and perhaps he can tell you where to find plants.
Karli

Post by Karli »

needmore wrote:I think if you post on the French bamboo forum you will have good replies, Philippe Smets in Rome has a fantastic collection of bamboo and perhaps he can tell you where to find plants.
YOU GOT IT! He has many interesting species and some tender too!

Perhaps he is in Italy, so.. Thank you very much :wink: .. Next post would be an update with some pics of my garden!