Bring Vivax back to good health

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Bring Vivax back to good health

Post by Deane »

I got this Vivax green from a friend it was in a 80L pot for two years with same compost it's quite yellow culms and leafs ,I have put it in ground ,is there any thing else I can do to bring it back to good health ?? It's the one that is smaller
Attachments
IMG_0247.JPG
dependable

Re: Bring Vivax back to good health

Post by dependable »

If it was root bound, it is good to unravel wrapped up rhizomes some and break up root pads around bottom of pot. In extreme cases, cutting away bound roots is called for.
Deane

Post by Deane »

dependable wrote:If it was root bound, it is good to unravel wrapped up rhizomes some and break up root pads around bottom of pot. In extreme cases, cutting away bound roots is called for.
Thanks dependable but it was not root bound ,do you think feeding it will help or just leave it to get on with it
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'd leave it for now. Over-pampering can sometimes be just as bad as too much neglect ;-).

By the way I hope you realize the growth potential vivax has. That spot seems awfully small unless you plan to rhizome prune a lot or don't mind if everything else around will have vivax rhizomes in it. Especially around the bushes (hazelnut?) things can get annoying as rhizomes intermingle with other roots. I speak from experience here as I've got both vivax huangwenzhu and nigra growing pretty much next to a hawthorn hedge.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I bought some plants like that earlier this summer, I repotted them, put a big handful of food in the soil and kept them watered. Within a week they were shooting multiple shoots. I was surprised how fast they woke up, probably not common but I think water was key as these were quite dry.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

Nicholas wrote:I'd leave it for now. Over-pampering can sometimes be just as bad as too much neglect ;-).

By the way I hope you realize the growth potential vivax has. That spot seems awfully small unless you plan to rhizome prune a lot or don't mind if everything else around will have vivax rhizomes in it. Especially around the bushes (hazelnut?) things can get annoying as rhizomes intermingle with other roots. I speak from experience here as I've got both vivax huangwenzhu and nigra growing pretty much next to a hawthorn hedge.
Thanks Nicholas yes I realise the potential of Vivax where it is has a root Barrier right around both bamboo's (mite be able to see it ,it's the white in pic) the other bamboo will be moved to its own spot soon ,thanks for the help
Deane

Post by Deane »

needmore wrote:I bought some plants like that earlier this summer, I repotted them, put a big handful of food in the soil and kept them watered. Within a week they were shooting multiple shoots. I was surprised how fast they woke up, probably not common but I think water was key as these were quite dry.
Funny you say that needmore the bamboo next to the Vivax I bought in July from some one that dug it up and put it on eBay auction for a week so when I got it it looked in a bad way but now with 30 new whip shots it's looking great ,I feed and watered and watered it ,do you think it's worth feeding now and watering loads ? It's autumn here in uk
Deane

Post by Deane »

Someone suggested this what's your thoughts https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262625489032
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Stop thinking about what is wrong with it. It's outside, most likely it's just fine. I have seen Phyllos turn yellow for no apparent reason while confined in pot, yet, when they ran out of their pots, their leaves started to look healthy and dark green.

The worst thing you can now do is drown the poor boo fellow. Winter is coming which means you can ease on the fertilizing and only water if it gets too dry - I doubt that will be the case in the UK this year. Start fertilizing early in the spring, before it starts shooting. It will recover in no-time.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Deane wrote:... it is has a root Barrier right around both bamboo's (mite be able to see it ,it's the white in pic) ...
Ahh, now I see it. May I ask what type of barrier you put in?

And like Tarzanus said, for now I would not worry too much. If you really really really want to add something use a small amount of slow release fertilizer or something organic like well rotted manure or horse dung. Generally you'd want to avoid over-fertilizing in fall as it reduces hardiness but for your UK weather this should not be an issue.
I'd hold back on the watering as the cold weather really cuts down on evaporation and too much moisture can potentially lead to problems.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Tarzanus wrote:Stop thinking about what is wrong with it. It's outside, most likely it's just fine. I have seen Phyllos turn yellow for no apparent reason while confined in pot, yet, when they ran out of their pots, their leaves started to look healthy and dark green.

The worst thing you can now do is drown the poor boo fellow. Winter is coming which means you can ease on the fertilizing and only water if it gets too dry - I doubt that will be the case in the UK this year. Start fertilizing early in the spring, before it starts shooting. It will recover in no-time.
Thanks for the reassurance Tarzanus I am still watering as I am in the driest part of U.K. And we have not had rain for mouths but as it starts to get wetter I will stop the watering
Deane

Post by Deane »

Nicholas wrote:
Deane wrote:... it is has a root Barrier right around both bamboo's (mite be able to see it ,it's the white in pic) ...
Ahh, now I see it. May I ask what type of barrier you put in?

And like Tarzanus said, for now I would not worry too much. If you really really really want to add something use a small amount of slow release fertilizer or something organic like well rotted manure or horse dung. Generally you'd want to avoid over-fertilizing in fall as it reduces hardiness but for your UK weather this should not be an issue.
I'd hold back on the watering as the cold weather really cuts down on evaporation and too much moisture can potentially lead to problems.
You may Nicholas it's a HDPE barrier that I have made for me which is thicker and stronger and deeper than one you can buy ,perks of having a friend that works in moulding company
Deane

Post by Deane »

Look what I found coming up today
Attachments
IMG_0249.JPG
Markj

Post by Markj »

That's not good.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Deane

Post by Deane »

Markj wrote:That's not good.
Why is that mark ? Should I cut it off