Planting Phyllostachys Vivax now ?..

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Planting Phyllostachys Vivax now ?..

Post by Deane »

Yesterday I bought a big green Vivax in a 80L pot which has been in pot for 2 years with same compost so is looking a bit unhappy ,can I plant it in ground this time of year in south uk ? I have give it some fish blood and bone and a layer of manure but would like to get it in ground if possible
Markj

Re: Planting Phyllostachys Vivax now ?..

Post by Markj »

Probably the best time of the year.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Deane

Post by Deane »

Markj wrote:Probably the best time of the year.
Really mark that's good news ,it said online spring ,when is the latest time in the year boos can be planted ?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

When there's a risk of freezing. When you plant the bamboo it will start growing and if temperatures plunge too low, it might get damaged. Vivax should not have such issues, especially in the UK, but it's better to plant it soon enough for it to grow some roots and rhizomes into the surrounding soil.

If it does get cold before you plant it, you could wait for the spring to arrive, in the spring, plant it after the last frost. During winter, keep it in unheated place with temperature up to 10°C with as much light as possible. I'd say it's better to plant it now, it's not too late.
Markj

Post by Markj »

We can plant here all year round, it's a tad harder in the summer as you'd have too water now and then. But planting now is probably the best time, the soil is warm it rains every week and its three months till a 'possible' cold snap' which may last a day or two at most. So the plant will establish a good root system ready for the spring shooting system.

It really is perfect timing ( here , south Uk ) but don't go overboard with feeding till it settles in.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Markj wrote:We can plant here all year round, it's a tad harder in the summer as you'd have too water now and then. But planting now is probably the best time, the soil is warm it rains every week and its three months till a 'possible' cold snap' which may last a day or two at most. So the plant will establish a good root system ready for the spring shooting system.

It really is perfect timing ( here , south Uk ) but don't go overboard with feeding till it settles in.
Mark, where the heck have you been! Good to see you back though I think you owe us about 2 years pf new photos :drunken:
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

Markj wrote:We can plant here all year round, it's a tad harder in the summer as you'd have too water now and then. But planting now is probably the best time, the soil is warm it rains every week and its three months till a 'possible' cold snap' which may last a day or two at most. So the plant will establish a good root system ready for the spring shooting system.

I normally feed with horn and hoff compost and alpaca manure is that still ok ,I mite just put some others in ground now too ,how big does the bamboo need to be to go in ground now as I have loads in pots that need to go in from 9 cm potted to 80L
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Deane wrote:

I normally feed with horn and hoff compost and alpaca manure is that still ok ,I mite just put some others in ground now too ,how big does the bamboo need to be to go in ground now as I have loads in pots that need to go in from 9 cm potted to 80L
I would not fertilize for at least a month, you can put some of your compost around the plant, not directly over the roots. I usually wait at least a month or two, before I start fertilizing on top. For us here, with much stronger winters, fertilization period ends in September or early October, because we usually get our first frosts in mid October. Well fertilized bamboo is prone to freeze damage. Without the danger of freezing, you can fertilize all year round, just wait a few months for the roots to establish.

The size doesn't matter. :mrgreen: As soon as you place them outside, they will start growing faster and will end up stronger and more resistant to drought and cold damage. It's also less likely you will drown them if the soil drainage goes south. It often does when there's too many roots inside the pot.
With my climate though, it's best to wait for the small plant to start running, before planting it outside. I would need to plant it in the spring, summer or early fall, we here do have a problem with hard frosts.
Markj

Post by Markj »

needmore wrote:
Mark, where the heck have you been! Good to see you back though I think you owe us about 2 years pf new photos :drunken:

Amazing how time flys Brad :roll: , only seems like a month or two.

Been a good summer here so plenty of pics to follow :D
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Out here in Northern California I plant year round but try to avoid it when they are shooting . For me the biggest issue out here is not having new plantings dry out during our hot dry season . To avoid this I fill the hole with water twice and let it drain this helps keep our existing soil from pulling moisture from the plant and drying it out after planting and I give it a good layer of mulch
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Markj

Post by Markj »

I have the opposite problem :roll: - if I dig a hole for planting it fills with water :D
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks Cooper that's what I have done as it is so dry here ,wish I had a bit of marks rain ,it said it was going to rain all day today but we have had about 20 mins of rain :roll: