Hottest week of the year - and my 'boo is shooting?!

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

steve-in-kville
Location info: 0

Hottest week of the year - and my 'boo is shooting?!

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm a bit shocked. I had three plants of Indocalamus tessellatus that I planted this spring (1-gallon sized). I almost lost the one, see my previous two threads. I've been watering as much as I can. Looked yesterday, all three plants are shooting! We are on the second week of 90+ degree temps. Unreal.

Also, had some Nitida divisions I did early in the year. Neither the divisions or the mother plant shoot this past spring. But most are shooting now!

Is this normal? I thought this heat would really stress the plants. Will they shoot again in the fall?
Regards,

steve-in-kville
mshaffer

Re: Hottest week of the year - and my 'boo is shooting?!

Post by mshaffer »

Nothing shooting here in Fairfax VA. I feel like shooting whatever is eating my new moso rhizomes though. ugh
dependable

Post by dependable »

When you buy a potted bamboo, it may have been raised in green house, or just an environment different form where you are.

May have been on a fertilizer regime for quick growth that puts it out of sync.

It is not uncommon for newly bought plants to be out of sync with local conditions and timing.

Try to keep it alive, plant it into ground, or keep in pot and take very good care, and they will probably will be OK. A plant in a pot is going to have higher soil temps than natural ground, most of the time, and this will also lead to different shooting times than plants in ground.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It's not too late for the new shoots to harden before the winter. I don't think there will be time for another shooting in the fall, but they might. If you keep (most of temperate runners at least) bamboos well irrigated and fertilized during sunny and hot weather, they will thrive. I'm seeing another explosion of rhizomes this year on all of my bamboos. Weather around here is quite stable, but not too warm. Almost ideal for my bamboos. :mrgreen:

PS: No shooting here. Except for Borinda gaolinensis (fungosa?) seedling which has gone nuts.