stunted phyllostachys

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

tw1
Location info: 0

stunted phyllostachys

Post by tw1 »

I have a phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis that grew well in a large pot to about 4 foot tall and 2foot diameter over one or two years, however i planted it in the ground 2years ago and its made no growth and seems to have quite a lot of brown leaves, does anyone know whats caused it to become stunted?
The soil is clay but not heavy, it gets afternoon sun and is protected against wind. Its been well watered and has seemingly good growing conditions with no competition so i dont know why its not growing.

It was planted in a spot that an old conifer tree had been in so i wondered if there is something strange about the soil acidity but everything else seems to be ok there and it didnt look particularly pot bound when it went in.
Attachments
IMG_20190409_094501_kindlephoto-616854872.jpg
iain

Re: stunted phyllostachys

Post by iain »

I have just happened upon your post and wondered if your aureocaulis is shooting? If not, it could just be "sulking," that is, establishing itself below ground and building energy reserves.
Boohoo?
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Re cause of sulk- Brexit remorse?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

fredgpops wrote:Re cause of sulk- Brexit remorse?
Cracking me up. :lol:
iain

Post by iain »

I don't believe that bamboo would have voted leave. :wink:
Boohoo?
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

How did the root ball look when you pulled it from the container? It may have been in the early throws of being root bound. It's always wise to loosen the roots prior to replant. I usually hit replants with a power wash which helps the loosening process. You may want to pull the plant and try to resuscitate it by loosening the roots. The soil next to the roots may be a issue if it is heavy clay. Good luck
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Over the years I've had a bamboo plant now and then that I can not get going - I have one now. Nothing I've tried thus far has helped so I don't have any real advice. Maybe dump a deep layer of manure on the soil - a few inches deep, and keep it appropriately hydrated. Any chance this was an in-vitro plant?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com