Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Chris S
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Re: Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Post by Chris S »

As a little digression here is a heads up on more Phyllostachys nigra varietal names that may hit the market some time soon. Currently on sale we have one that may be sold as var purpurea or maybe var tradescantiflora.

eBay item number: 252721028824

just run a search on that, but you'd better put your sunglasses on before you look at it!
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
Chris S
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

And if Tarzanus is correct that these are actually Moso, and anyone is wondering how there could possibly be a mixup between Moso seedlings and Phyllostachys nigra, just inspect:

eBay item number: 301525696963
Chris
SE England

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

So a few discreet enquiries have borne some fruit. The team at Hayloft Plants have been helpful and will reveal that it is of tissue culture origin and turned up in a nursery growing Phyllostachys. They are reluctant to reveal their sources, as they need to tread carefully with giving away their hard work on sourcing, but meanwhile Adam & Eve have kindly whispered that it was picked up at a rare plant sale a couple of years ago.
Chris
SE England

wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

Chris S wrote:...

just run a search on that, but you'd better put your sunglasses on before you look at it!
Search complete. :)
Sunglasses indeed required, sunglasses of a very specific tint as i suspect someone has been to the photoshop.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Chris S wrote:So a few discreet enquiries have borne some fruit. The team at Hayloft Plants have been helpful and will reveal that it is of tissue culture origin and turned up in a nursery growing Phyllostachys. They are reluctant to reveal their sources, as they need to tread carefully with giving away their hard work on sourcing, but meanwhile Adam & Eve have kindly whispered that it was picked up at a rare plant sale a couple of years ago.
Chris,

thanks for digging into this some more!

To come back on your initial hunch with shiroshima - I considered that too as a candidate before I ordered the plant but seeing it in real life I quickly dispelled that thought (by the way I have shiroshima so I can compare them readily). The leaves are really quite yellow - it does not show as well in my pictures but that is why I immediately turned my attention towards pleioblastus auricomus.

In my second picture you can see that on one of the larger culms it appears that there are two side branches - this, and its juvenile state overall, leaves a lot of uncertainties.
I am far from a bamboo expert but have seen enough seedlings and also variability in small phyllostachys plants in general to say that without some more mature culms this is really speculative just going by appearance.

In any case I'll keep you all updated on the progress (lets hope I don't kill the plant accidentally) and hopefully we can resolve this mystery. I'd be really happy if it was a phyllo but the leaves are so gorgeous that quite frankly I don't care if it turns out to be one of the smaller, shrub-like bamboos.

all the best,

Nicholas
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

wolfedg wrote:
Chris S wrote:...

Search complete. :)
Sunglasses indeed required, sunglasses of a very specific tint as i suspect someone has been to the photoshop.
I love the purple flower picture in there as well :P ( I suspect that it is from Setcreasea)
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Hayloft just wrote me back. The bamboo is from microprop from a phyllo in Europe. They didn't confirm or answer if it was a nigra yet but I've emailed them back to get more answers.

If this was moso then there's a good chance my culms would be soft and they are not.

There is a sulcas on my small shoots so yes it's a phyllo

Haylofts experts say it's for sure a Phyllostachys.

I asked for a picture of the mother grove.

The fun continues
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

Hello, maybe in identification can help you photos on my page here:

http://forum.bambusy.info/topic/812/phy ... variegata/

I think, it could be Phyllostachys, if it is Phyllostachys nigra we will see.

Ordered plant:

Another plant. After hardy winter - growing outside.

Smaller plant growing outside:

Newly oredered plants, not in very good condition.

I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
Van-isle-bamboo

Yes they are Phyllostachys because they do have a small sulcas but I'm not sure yet if it's a nigra. Hayloft said that the mother plant was a single specimen inside a group of potted plants at a nursery in Europe.

Still no definitive answer from them if it's Nigra though.

Does have nice leaves haha
Van-isle-bamboo

FWIW Emma at Hayloft just just got back to me and confirmed it is Nigra.

I guess the pictures were made and not that of the real plant in Europe I'm guessing. Not sure what the mother plant looked like still.

Interesting that TC is going on over that way with bamboo.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Could the boo be Phyllostachys Aurea 'Variegata' do you think
Attachments
IMG_1068.JPG
Van-isle-bamboo

Very possible yes but then that means Hayloft is lying bahahaha. :evil:
Deane

Post by Deane »

It's very interesting, I am thinking about buying one again and taking it to a friend that has a connection with Kew and mike bell to try and get it identified, if this is a new nigra then it is very exciting
Van-isle-bamboo

I agree very exciting if it's a new nigra. If not..... that's some poor marketing.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:I agree very exciting if it's a new nigra. If not..... that's some poor marketing.

Don't you mean 'good' marketing? :?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com