Yellow Groove and raised beds?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

steve-in-kville
Location info: 0

Yellow Groove and raised beds?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I have a small plot of Yellow Groove that I need to re-locate. Because of a high water table, the majority of my veggie garden is raised beds (look up "lasagna gardening") I would like to do the same with this bamboo in an attempt to make rhizome pruning easier. My raised beds have no sides, they look like hay windrows if you are familiar with hay farming!

Has anyone tried this method of containing a runner?

Many thanks in advance!
Regards,

steve-in-kville
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Yellow Groove and raised beds?

Post by needmore »

You'll be able to see the rhizomes pop out then dive down and can snip those off.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Yellow Groove and raised beds?

Post by Alan_L »

Remember that your veggie garden gets reworked each year and new plants get put in. The bamboo on the other hand is there for good. I'm wondering if you eventually will have rhizomes that are buried quite deeply if you keep layering stuff on top...

A gardening friend of mine once grew a dozen bamboos in a pretty small yard. He'd rhizome prune and trench each year, and would pile compost, mulch, and new soil on top of the growing area. I helped him remove one of those bamboos, and there were layers of rhizomes 18-24" deep. It was incredibly difficult to dig out.