Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

alfred
Location info: 0

Re: Beginner general bamboo questions

Post by alfred »

needmore wrote:
alfred wrote:
needmore wrote:Try to leave at least 2 lower branches when you trim, it can be enough to make a big difference.
I'll try that next winter. Maybe in the meantime I'd buy time (and start doing plant relocations) by plucking a few handful stems of dwarf Sasa bamboo and pot them up? They'd be easy to take with whole culms, though digging between them is a mess due to their compactness. Could I try to pluck a few by pulling stems and the roots that'd come with them?
Or would they have to be potted in winter too?

Thank you

Don't try to take small pieces of Sasa, they revolt. For them you should try to cut something around a square foot of sod in the midst of them and pot thank hunk. Now is fine for them.
Thank you. I was that naive to hope that Sasa could be plucked and repotted with what came from pulling...I guess same square foot sod rules applies to Indocalamus, Pseudosasa and Sasaella? :( Didn't want to end up renting a van, but if they can't survive otherways...

Is there a rough reference for height/diameter and container size? Would a 55 US gal plastic drum planted in the soil work as Moso containment while still allowing it to reach 3-4" culm thickness, given proper watering and fertilizer?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I literally use my foot as a measuring guide for all the sasa types - chop a line in 4 directions the length of my foot and then get under that square and dig out the whole thing as 1 'sod' - by far the best way, then the sod can be put in trash bags for transport w/o damaging much foliage if you are careful. Then later you can groom the damaged stuff off the edge of the sod.

55 gallon drum will not work well nor long.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Glen

Post by Glen »

Thank you. I was that naive to hope that Sasa could be plucked and repotted with what came from pulling...I guess same square foot sod rules applies to Indocalamus, Pseudosasa and Sasaella? :( Didn't want to end up renting a van, but if they can't survive otherways...
I understand the sentiment, as I have propagated many types of plants from pieces that I pulled from the ground. Unfortunately, bamboos generally are more difficult to propagate than many plants. If you try to pull small pieces, you will end up with weak and small plants, at best.
Is there a rough reference for height/diameter and container size? Would a 55 US gal plastic drum planted in the soil work as Moso containment while still allowing it to reach 3-4" culm thickness, given proper watering and fertilizer?
That is not nearly large enough. This page may give you some useful knowledge to help you with your project: http://www.bamboogarden.com/FAQ%20general.htm
Keep in mind that your climate will drastically affect your results. In Texas, running bamboos like to spread quickly but stay small, so they need more area to achieve good size. Looking at pictures from cooler areas, I am often surprised by the large culms produced in confined spaces.
alfred

Post by alfred »

needmore wrote:I literally use my foot as a measuring guide for all the sasa types - chop a line in 4 directions the length of my foot and then get under that square and dig out the whole thing as 1 'sod' - by far the best way, then the sod can be put in trash bags for transport w/o damaging much foliage if you are careful. Then later you can groom the damaged stuff off the edge of the sod.

55 gallon drum will not work well nor long.
Glen wrote:I understand the sentiment, as I have propagated many types of plants from pieces that I pulled from the ground. Unfortunately, bamboos generally are more difficult to propagate than many plants. If you try to pull small pieces, you will end up with weak and small plants, at best.
Thank you both again for guiding me. :)
My plants are dense enough that if I try to pull 3-4 Sasa culms together, a handball-sized root tangle (+ some dirt) comes together with them, could I count that as a valid enough transplant that will survive, perhaps damaging less than shoving spades in the roots?
Glen wrote:
That is not nearly large enough. This page may give you some useful knowledge to help you with your project: http://www.bamboogarden.com/FAQ%20general.htm
Keep in mind that your climate will drastically affect your results. In Texas, running bamboos like to spread quickly but stay small, so they need more area to achieve good size. Looking at pictures from cooler areas, I am often surprised by the large culms produced in confined spaces.
I see, thank you. What about a 5 feet diameter (1.5m) plastic-foil barrier (16 feet = 5m circumference), as those HDPE ones sold specifically for containing bamboo and about 3 feet deep?

Thanks again
Glen

Post by Glen »

My plants are dense enough that if I try to pull 3-4 Sasa culms together, a handball-sized root tangle (+ some dirt) comes together with them, could I count that as a valid enough transplant that will survive, perhaps damaging less than shoving spades in the roots?
I would need to see a photograph of one of these divisions in order to answer that. In either case, I would recommend that you do it in late winter, and keep the roots very moist.
I see, thank you. What about a 5 feet diameter (1.5m) plastic-foil barrier (16 feet = 5m circumference), as those HDPE ones sold specifically for containing bamboo and about 3 feet deep?
http://www.bamboogarden.com/FAQ%20gener ... 20i%20need

I should mention that Moso is one of the more temperamental Phyllostachys, and not generally the best choice if you want a large bamboo, in most climates. In many areas, it will be about the worst performer of any of the large Phyllostachys. It is spectacular where it is happy.