Leaves turning pale/white

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alec
Location info: 0

Leaves turning pale/white

Post by Alec »

Hey! I recently moved one of my moso outside - sunnier, but also colder. Did this after moving it in and out over the last week to get it acclimated.

Anyhow, a couple of days after planting it out, its leaves started turning white and they feel somewhat plasticky when I touch them. Is this the direct sunlight causing this? Or perhaps the chilly nights? I have a lot of seedlings, so I might have been a bit reckless with this one and planted it out too early.
Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Leaves turning pale/white

Post by Tarzanus »

Most likely it's been burned by the sun. Moso can be quite tricky when you change it's location. It will recover and when it does, it will (should) grow much better than inside. Low temperature can also make some damage, usually there's no leaf bleaching, but usually low temperatures come together with sun and wind - Those 3 together will make your bamboo look especially bad if you don't acclimate it enough. I usually see burnt leaf tips on most of the leaves, some completely dry branches and temporary stunted growth when I plant them outside. Bleached leaves will dry out and drop, do not worry, it will be in top condition before summer kicks in.